Gun control in North America

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Gun control in North America

Postby GriffonTheCat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:19 am

I'm making a topic to discuss gun control in North America. What do you guys think about it?
GriffonTheCat
fetus

Custom Title: Cabin boy

Re: Gun control in North America

Postby clayton » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:51 am

Im for it. Countrys were guns are illegal have much fewer gun murders. If guns were illegal in america, I think it would take a while to become effective because there's already too many guns to keep track of, but I think the next generation would have a smaller murder rate.
clayton
death head

Postby icantsavemyself » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:31 pm

I grew up in a town of 400 people in the backwoods of a backwoods area of the country (small logging town in southern Oregon). A friend of mine texted me a response from one of the old men talking about control, "Gun control? 1,200 guns from 400 people? How do they think they're gunna take that away from us?" I'm all for gun control but it would take a long time to make it work in 'Murica.
limework wrote:pokepooping defined my childhood.
icantsavemyself
death head

Custom Title: The Spear

Postby freethemanitee » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:32 pm

I find myself existing outside of the issue. If people want to argue about who gets to own guns legally thats fine. But I don't really care either way. I don't personally want a gun, so I'd just as soon let people to whom it concerns worry about the legality.
freethemanitee
fetus

Custom Title: Baptist Refugee

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:36 pm

freethemanitee wrote:I find myself existing outside of the issue. If people want to argue about who gets to own guns legally thats fine. But I don't really care either way. I don't personally want a gun, so I'd just as soon let people to whom it concerns worry about the legality.

Kind of this... I know a lot of hunters since I almost literally live in the woods (where I live is where the classic Canadian stereotype comes from). Sounds like it's not that hard to get your license here. It's mostly just that you have to take a course and demonstrate you can safely operate and know not to point it at people or be stupid. That's for like rifles and that though. I don't know what the protocol is for like hand guns and stuff like that. I don't even know what an honest use of a hand gun would be? Why would anyone get one unless they're in a gang? I don't even know. We have a lot of gang members up this way. :(
}elisa{
What good is just one string when you can strum the guitar?
monstersforyou wrote:Any man who loves Batman is a GOOD man.

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
hummingbird_mywill
death head

Custom Title: theoretician of a new paradigm

Postby Josh_Dead » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:51 am

It's in the Bill of Rights. No backsies.
IT'S NOT MAN MAN OR FIVE IRON FRENZY
JOSH DEAD HAS DUCKS!!!! DUGGA DUGGA DUGGA!!!!
ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Custom Title: whistle, chk, chk

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:43 am

I think my mom owns three or four handguns at this point. I'm not really sure.

Like Elisa/Hummingbird I live in hunting country so the whole anti-gun thing will never pass. And while I'm not a hunter myself, I don't really have an issue with hunting. It helps keeps populations down and all.

I don't have a problem with people owning guns, but I do think some of the states need some more restrictions or safety checks on gun owners. I think everyone should be required to have safety training and that all states should require a waiting period for every gun purchased.

Personally, I do feel safer being able to own a gun. I think outlawing guns is stupid because isn't not going to deter a criminal from either getting one illegally (since the usually obtain them illegally anyway) or causing harm in some other way. Although I will knowledge that it's much easier to pull the trigger than stab someone with a knife.

Beyond the whole, safety/protect-my-land/this-is-America thing, guns are really fun to shot. Rifles takes some practice to shot well, but it's fun to shot long range. Shotguns are more fun in my opinion because they're generally an easier shot. Plus, I like clay pigeon shooting better than stationary targets. Handguns are a different matter. I won't lie, there's a certain feeling of power when I shoot a handgun. And all in all, I like holding a handgun over a rifle or shotgun.
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Custom Title: Pseudo-artsy

Postby limework » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 am

ThePageStaysBlank wrote:And while I'm not a hunter myself, I don't really have an issue with hunting. It helps keeps populations down and all.

i never got this type of thinking. "we gotta keep the deer in check, cause they're so mean and they eat our children! population control is yeah!"

i mean, i'd understand if we were talking about werewolves.
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
limework
noob

Custom Title: Guest

Postby Sara » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:24 pm

It's more like, we've torn down all of their homes so we need to kill the homeless deer so they don't get hit by cars.
Sara
death head

Custom Title: Winchestertonfieldsville

Postby icantsavemyself » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:41 pm

At least in my hometown the deer population will kill the tree saplings when they're growing. If we keep the deer population in control then we're able to keep the tree stands healthy and growing. Also they become a nuisance to the people who grow food in their own gardens, i.e.; everyone in the community.
Also, population control for one species will help keep all the other species in check. It doesn't make much of a difference near cities but in rural communities it could be devastating.
limework wrote:pokepooping defined my childhood.
icantsavemyself
death head

Custom Title: The Spear

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Here we need population control of the deer because they love to wander into the city to eat our food, and they create a big danger because cars hit them and cause accidents. There's lots and lots of space for them outside the city. The next city west has a maaaajor problem with it. There are constantly accidents and we don't want to end up like them :O
}elisa{

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
hummingbird_mywill
death head

Postby freethemanitee » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 pm

I live in Germany and we have tanks that drive on our roads, and we don't have a deer problem.
freethemanitee
fetus

Custom Title: Baptist Refugee

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Basically what ican'tsavemyself and hummingbird said. Plus there are a fair amount of people out in rural areas who get a lot of food from hunting.
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Postby Thoagland » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:27 am

I'm all for gun control. Not making them illegal, but tightening the leash, if you will. The right to bear arms was written back in a time when it took a whole minute before you'd be able to fire another shot. Now, you can kill 15-20 people in a minute... Heck, Why don't we just give everyone muskets and call it a day? Guy runs into the movie theater and fires off 1 highly inaccurate round, 30 people fire back and the guy becomes a swiss-cheese sandwich. Boom. Solutions.
Maimsmithing pays well.
Thoagland
bread head

Custom Title: Band Memorabilia

Postby Thoagland » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 am

Oh, and most mass murderers and serial killers legally obtain their guns and ammunition. Just something to think about.
Maimsmithing pays well.
Thoagland
bread head

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:32 pm

I can't imagine that most mass murderers and serials killers would have any qualms about getting guns illegally.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Postby Thoagland » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Most of them don't, though. If we just added a psychological evaluation prior to the purchase of a weapon, most of our gun problems would be solved.
Maimsmithing pays well.
Thoagland
bread head

Postby limework » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:01 pm

hummingbird_mywill wrote:Here we need population control of the deer because they love to wander into the city to eat our food, and they create a big danger because cars hit them and cause accidents. There's lots and lots of space for them outside the city. The next city west has a maaaajor problem with it. There are constantly accidents and we don't want to end up like them :O
icantsavemyself wrote:At least in my hometown the deer population will kill the tree saplings when they're growing. If we keep the deer population in control then we're able to keep the tree stands healthy and growing. Also they become a nuisance to the people who grow food in their own gardens, i.e.; everyone in the community.
Also, population control for one species will help keep all the other species in check. It doesn't make much of a difference near cities but in rural communities it could be devastating.

wouldn't a tall fence solve all of these problems?
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
limework
noob

Custom Title: Guest

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:42 am

No.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:59 am

Two options with the fence scenario: 1) No one ever leaves the city. 2) Gates that have to be opened and closed every time someone enters/leaves the city. Both would cause everyone to flip out. Also, that would increase deer concentration on the highways because they like to eat the salt in winter so they'd all go there.
}elisa{

hummingbird_mywill
death head

Next

Return to challenge.