Erasing Hell by Francis Chan

Discussion spot for the Showbread book club.

Erasing Hell by Francis Chan

Postby sarahgvez » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Anyone interested in reading this book alongside me. My brother had bought this book, and I loce the way Francis Chan writes (Crazy Love). I would really love to discuss this book, and by posting in here it will help me stay on track of reading. So if you are interested let me know and we can set a start date! Thanks!
sarahgvez
fetus

Re: Erasing Hell by Francis Chan

Postby clayton » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:22 pm

I've read neither, but I'm interested in knowing how it compares to rob bells love wins.
clayton
death head

Postby sarahgvez » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:00 pm

I've never read that book, but I have heard about it. Right now i'm reading the Spinal Cord Perception and will soon start Erasing Hell. Two books at one time is all that time will allow me, so after I finish SCP I'll look into reading Love Wins!
sarahgvez
fetus

Postby HunterBrown » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:08 pm

My mom borrowed the book, but I haven't read it yet.
owl wrote:but i am going to the doctor so he can butts them

HunterBrown
death head

Custom Title: The Wannabe Ladykiller

Postby clayton » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:58 pm

I might visit my library tomorrow to see if they have it.
clayton
death head

Postby sarahgvez » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:41 am

alright cool. I asked my bro to borrow his copy. I'm excited to read it!
sarahgvez
fetus

Postby sarahgvez » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:51 pm

I just got the book from my bro, and I'm gonna start reading now. It is a really short book; however, the contents and subject matter is the book require complete attention, so I think it will definitely inspire great discussions!
sarahgvez
fetus

Postby sarahgvez » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:25 pm

in the first chapter "Does Everyone Go to Heaven?" he is already calling out texts from Love Wins. He really answered a lot of hanging questions that I had in my mind. I too looked at Philippians 2:11as meaning that maybe someday everyone will turn to God, and it did bother me that other verses seemed to outright contradict it. My husband pointed out a lot of verses that he avidly looked for that contradicted one another to justify his reasoning to me that the Bible was fallible. However, Chan and Sprinkle made so much sense in their explanation that it meant everyone will recognize that Jesus is God, and that judgement day is real.
For the defining the word all, seemed like a stretch in some ways he was trying to explain it. Also, he explained that the verses did say the gates will close, but I didn't see him explain why the Rev. 21:25 did mention the gates "will never be shut". If someone else did, I would love for someone to explain it.
This is an incredible book so far. I like that he uses historical facts from the time period and puts everything into the right context. It really does help me understand it better.

Do you guys agree with him?
sarahgvez
fetus

Postby heyitsxbrandonx » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:38 pm

I found it funny that Bell spoke of Jesus' sayings as metaphoric and symbolic when speaking of hell as mere references to Gehenna and Sheol, rightfully so in my personal opinion, but speaks of texts in revelation of all books to be taken literal as "the gates will never shut." I believe as in all parables of Jesus Christ he used real life scenarios to depict spiritual truth. I disagree with Bell in his views on Hell in that all will be saved, but would like to point out he is right in his calls to Christians to live as if hell was right here right now. For there to be no Hell then why do we need Jesus? Why didn't God create from the beginning this way of no one ever goes to hell instead of waiting several thousand years for the messiah to "empty" Hell? The NT is very clear that outside of faith in Jesus Christ you choose and eternity in Hell, God does not send anyone there there. More importantly that if there is or isn't Hell, what should we as Christians be doing to ensure that this lost and dying world has life and has it to the full? What parts in our lives do or do not show the light of the world who is Jesus Christ?
heyitsxbrandonx
fetus

Postby sarahgvez » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:45 am

Yay, i'm glad I got a response in this thread. I had already finished the book, but didn't post more because the book got so deep I didn't want to lose anyone or ruin anything in the book in case people were still interested. I agree with what you said. By the way, did you read the book?
sarahgvez
fetus

Return to showbread book club