Section 2: "A New Kind of Commander-In-Chief"

Discussion spot for the Showbread book club.

Re: Section 2: "A New Kind of Commander-In-Chief"

Postby josh_dies » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:39 am

discuss.
josh_dies
admin

Custom Title: Band Member

Postby clayton » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:23 pm

section 2 is an overview of jesus's life on earth. while jesus came as a servant, the book reveals many interesting things about jesus's life that paradys that of caesar. it also shows a lot of political language that jesus used that we don't understand because of modern context. it continues the idea that there is no king but jesus. while the world may tell us things like we must use violence to overcome violence, jesus taught us radical things such as turning the other cheak, giving our shirt as well as our coat, or walking two miles instead of one.
clayton
death head

Postby TheGabiLizard » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:23 pm

I just started reading the book because I found it in my college's bookstore.
This section brought up a lot of really great points. The part about how we aren't called to retaliation, but in moments of opposition and fights, not to condemn them yourself, but to allow them to see their shame and choose not to go that direction. It's a way of reaching out and bringing humanity back into the situation. It was really striking to me.
TheGabiLizard
zay

Custom Title: Not really a lizard.

Postby clayton » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm

i'm happy to see someone posting in here :)
clayton
death head

Postby TheGabiLizard » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:06 pm

i figured someone should!
TheGabiLizard
zay

Postby TheGabiLizard » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:14 pm

I know that standing against war and violence, even in the context of the military is one of the big things that Showbread stands for, but I have to be honest: that's been a struggle for me to come to grips with not supporting the military. I haven't been able to get over my upbringing where the military have such high respect and position, the conservative- "God bless 'Merica" christianity...
This section has really called a lot of it into question in my mind. It pointed out a lot of ways in which we have come to "worship empire" ( as the book says), whether that be in the form of the American empire or trying to create a Christian Empire. We've gotten our eyes off the point, and we just keep fighting to get the power and acclaim of the world. The point isn't to store up everything, to fight to keep it, to fight to take it away from other people, to get people back for their wrongs, but to make sure everyone has enough, to love people and God above all, and to let those who intend to hurt bring the shame on themselves if they choose to become animals of violence.
I've been noticing that the military isn't ours to support, because it is an arm of an empire we are not a part of.

I dunno, this is just changing a lot about how I think.
TheGabiLizard
zay

Postby clayton » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:24 pm

something that i began struggling with when i first read the book about a year ago, but has started driving me crazy again is taking Jesus teachings of the sermon on the mount with the old testament. you see so much violence in it being done in the name of God, some of it even being done directly by God. I like to say that I accept Jesus's teachings of non violence, but i just don't know how to accept everything that takes place in the old testament with it.
clayton
death head

Postby TheGabiLizard » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:35 pm

It's hard to understand... My old testament class is helping me, but I'm not really sure how to explain it...
TheGabiLizard
zay

Postby limework » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:40 pm

God hasn't changed, but the consequences for disobeying Him have changed in severeness due to Jesus' sacrifice.

...i would say that God never changes, but there's been times where someone changed His mind (moses probably being the most popular example).
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
limework
noob

Custom Title: Guest

Return to showbread book club