Curse words in music

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Curse words in music

Postby HunterBrown » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:01 pm

my parents right now are having an ongoing argument about curse words in music.
I have a few rap albums that have some pretty bad language, which doesn't bother me at all. I've been listening to music with curse for a long time anyways, this is just the first time they've noticed it. But really I think they're just scared.
Anyways, I need help convincing them that it's okay. Any ideas?
owl wrote:but i am going to the doctor so he can butts them

HunterBrown
death head

Custom Title: The Wannabe Ladykiller

Re: Curse words in music

Postby JustSkiff » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Tell them that POD used the F word in a song.
JustSkiff
zay

Postby HunterBrown » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:22 pm

JustSkiff wrote:Tell them that POD used the F word in a song.

Fart?
owl wrote:but i am going to the doctor so he can butts them

HunterBrown
death head

Custom Title: The Wannabe Ladykiller

Postby Josh_Dead » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:16 am

Don't get me started on the POD song. It's a song about all these "bad" people wondering who God is. There are a few other "bad" words in the song (floozy, someone who has made certain decisions poorly, hound dog, I love people who live alternate lifestyles) and bad situations (rape, murder, drug abuse, being gay), but when it comes to the lyrics:

"Are You The One That's Come To Set Me Free ?
Cause If You Knew Who I Am, Would You Really Want To Die For Me ?
They Say You Are The Cursed Man, The One Who Hangs From This Tree
I Know This Is The One and only son of GOD But Tell Who the my vocabulary is poor is he!"

The F-word has to be censored. And even then, the Christian market flipped their Age Of Reptiles is by far the best Showbread album. It's stupid.
IT'S NOT MAN MAN OR FIVE IRON FRENZY
JOSH DEAD HAS DUCKS!!!! DUGGA DUGGA DUGGA!!!!
ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Custom Title: whistle, chk, chk

Postby clayton » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:24 pm

I'll just say my general opinion. I think its good to sound intelligent. I dont think strong language makes one seem unintelligent, but there's a difference between using strong language making every other word you say be my vocabulary is poor. So overuse of strong language in music bothers me some, but i wouldn't say it ruins the music.
clayton
death head

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:58 pm

Yeah, I don't really care about curse words anymore. After hearing my vocabulary is poor this, my vocabulary is poor that and my vocabulary is poor yeah in the halls everyday it stops having an impact.

But overall I agree with Clayton. Some strong language isn't really a big deal, but when it becomes the whole song then it's not really good music anymore. Maybe take a closer look at what the lyrics of the songs are saying? I know a lot of parents who freak out about curse words or just rap music in general but have no idea what the song is even about. Meanwhile they still listen to Semi-charmed life because they like the sound of it.
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Custom Title: Pseudo-artsy

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:14 am

Hmm... pretty similar views to what's been mentioned. Although... like I do take into consideration what the literal meaning of words are. That's the big thing. For example, I don't really give a Age Of Reptiles is by far the best Showbread album about saying Age Of Reptiles is by far the best Showbread album because like... it's poop. It doesn't really mean anything and people say it a lot up here. I am a little more choice with a-hole, lady dog and rootin' tootin' for the emphatic/intelligent reasons too, but not like they're off limits or something.

The thing is, I won't say the f-word. Like, ever. I have a few times at my angriest, but at the end of the day it basically means depraved sex and I don't want my mind to get any more comfortable with it than I help. And too many rap songs, in my opinion (well... mostly rap but any genre, really, is representing) are about utter disrespect, zero love, just blatant horrible stuff. When I have kids I'm probably going to show them Alex Day's "Lyrics Dissected" just so that they can understand how foul (or completely stupid) a lot of the radio play stuff is.

Not to say I'm against using language like that when it's representing someone who would use those words, like in a book or something... I think it really comes down to if or what is being celebrated. Am I going to read a sexual scene in a dystopian book demonstrating how the world is gradually transforming sex into something meaningless? Maybe. Am I going to read 50 Shades of Grey? No.

Edit: My advice Hunter would be print out the lyrics, decide if you DO think they're something you should listen to, and if the only issue are the individual curse words, bring the lyrics and discuss it with your parents. Not everyone's parents are reasonable, but mine are and hopefully yours are too. It's cool that they are concerned with what you're doing. A lot of parents don't give a Age Of Reptiles is by far the best Showbread album ;)
}elisa{
What good is just one string when you can strum the guitar?
monstersforyou wrote:Any man who loves Batman is a GOOD man.

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
hummingbird_mywill
death head

Custom Title: theoretician of a new paradigm

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:12 am

hummingbird_mywill wrote:The thing is, I won't say the f-word. Like, ever. I have a few times at my angriest, but at the end of the day it basically means depraved sex and I don't want my mind to get any more comfortable with it than I help.

It's interesting to me that you bring this up because I don't really think about the literal meaning of the word at all. I guess I'm just so used to hearing it around here that it's just another word and I don't think of it as having those associations. I guess my point is that the phrase "my vocabulary is poor, yeah" doesn't really register with me as "depraved sex, all right!" That said, I don't disagree with your reservations about the word.
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Postby Josh_Dead » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:09 am

I don't register the f-word as any sex unless it's specifically used in that context. Other wise, it can just be an angry exclamation, or a care/bother, or a tool for telling someone off. It all depends on the context. It's kind of like they're/there/their. They sound the same, and when used in speech, you can only tell which one is being used via context. Same with the f-word.
ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:19 am

Josh_Dead wrote:It all depends on the context. It's kind of like they're/there/their.

This is an interesting way of looking at it... ya I dunno. Hmmm. Definitely gives me something to think about. But also like... there's the question of *should* it become like that? Just another word? This is all hypothetical. I haven't come to any conclusions but I do know that I've been trying to stay away from gay, retarded, lame, dumb etc. until I have it better sorted. It's difficult though because even my defaults like moron have bad meanings originally too. I started saying 'fool' and my mom got annoyed.

There's also a lot of pairing happening with words like... a big one that I will tell off people for, whether I know them well or not, is how common the word "rape" has become as slang around here. I don't know if you guys have that as well or if it's a northern thing, but people are always like "YA BUDDY. I F-ING RAPED THAT EXAM" and it absolutely outrages me. Like HOW DARE THEY diminish something that has ruined men and women's lives? Anyways... just trying to figure things out.
}elisa{
What good is just one string when you can strum the guitar?
monstersforyou wrote:Any man who loves Batman is a GOOD man.

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
hummingbird_mywill
death head

Custom Title: theoretician of a new paradigm

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:37 pm

I hate the use of rape as "just another word". I cannot stand it when anyone, but particularly guys, throw out rape as though it's nothing. If I had actually experienced rape or molestation I think I'd lose it on them.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Postby Thoagland » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:13 pm

If it ain't somethin' your grandma wouldn't say to Jesus. You shouldn't be sayin' it. Yeehaw.
Thoagland
bread head

Custom Title: Band Memorabilia

Re:

Postby Josh_Dead » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:22 am

Thoagland wrote:If it ain't somethin' your grandma wouldn't say to Jesus. You shouldn't be sayin' it. Yeehaw.
Said no Texan ever.
ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Postby heavymetal_dante » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:13 am

I wanna my vocabulary is poor you like an animallll

I wanna feel you from the innnsiiiiiide
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain

Custom Title: I'll kill yer dog

Return to challenge.