Homeschooling

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Homeschooling

Postby GriffonTheCat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm home schooled, But some states are trying to outlaw home schooling. What do you think about it?
GriffonTheCat
fetus

Custom Title: Cabin boy

Re: Homeschooling

Postby Nehemiah » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:19 am

Hmm. I support homeschooling for sure. Though all things have the potential for failure. No doubt there are cases where some kids really shouldn't be home schooled, and others where they really should!
Nehemiah
fetus

Custom Title: Generic Wizard

Postby GiraffeInMyThroat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:07 pm

Homeschooling is pretty diverse in the way that it can be implemented. There are ways to go wrong, for sure, but I think it can be a really good way to go.

On the flipside I'm pretty opposed to the public school system in general... the idea that the best way to get kids ready for the adult world is to lock them in a room with 40 other kids all day just seems ludicrous to me. ...there's more to my position but I don't want to start ranting, lol.
meh.
GiraffeInMyThroat
death head

Custom Title: There are some who call me...Tim?

Postby clayton » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Id say that high school education in general needs to be revised.
clayton
death head

Postby limework » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:36 am

my wife was homeschooled and she's pretty weird.
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
limework
noob

Custom Title: Guest

Postby Corvid Canine » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:45 pm

I was homeschooled

I am
completely

n ø r nn a ¬

††††††††††I††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††vvill††††††††††††††††††††consvnne†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††all†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
I get up in the morning, divide by zero, howl at the moon and eat a bowl of surreal.

(insert blastbeat)
Corvid Canine
death head

Custom Title: The Forum Monster

Postby HunterBrown » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm home schooled. I think I'm pretty normal. i would be a case of homeschooling "gone right" or whatever.
But some other kids I know . . . oohhhh don't get me started.
I can understand why some people want to outlaw it, because some homeschooling is just done so wrong. Like, there's the home schooled kids that don't care, and are going to either live with there parents or be hobos for the rest of their lives, and then there's the ones who care to much that have no social skills whatsoever. The kids who when asked what music they listen to they say "tobymac, skillet . . . that's about it".
I also like homeschooling because of the freedom I get. I can read my own books to study. I can listen to music while I study math or whatever. I can do what school whenever I want to just as long as I get good grades. I also get to make my own meals all day, none of that crappy public school stuff.
Plus, thanks to dual-enrollment, I get to hang with college girls all day who "wish I was legal". ;)

Were any of you guys dual-enrolled? It's super duper fun. I actually feel like I fit in for once with a crowd.

Totes venting right now.
owl wrote:but i am going to the doctor so he can butts them

HunterBrown
death head

Custom Title: The Wannabe Ladykiller

Postby Austinator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:16 pm

HunterBrown wrote:Were any of you guys dual-enrolled? It's super duper fun. I actually feel like I fit in for once with a crowd.
Totes venting right now.

Yeah, I was dual enrolled at a community college/high school charter for 11 and 12th grade. I enjoyed hanging out with college kids, playing random tabletop games in the lunchroom and being able to say that I graduated High School with an Associate's Degree, but a lot of the HS kids were obnoxious (in the stuck up cliquish way), and some of them would make fun of me (e.g. I got shot in the back of the head with an airsoft pistol from probably 50-60 feet). It was also probably the most stressful time in my life in part because I took 20 credit hours one semester, and also had to do a Senior project that existed solely to meet the state attendance requirements.

But yeah, it was fun. Made great friends, took group adventures through giant sewer pipes into a gated community, and plotted world destruction (one of these is a lie). ¡jake!

[end rant]
Austinator
fetus

Postby icantsavemyself » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:32 pm

I always wanted to be homeschooled but I'm really glad I wasn't. No one in my family could've done it and I would've been an idiot; even more so than now. I also worked with a homeschooled girl and she was something else. She told me she'd never read a book and didn't see the point and she could hardly do basic math. It was a huge bummer.
limework wrote:pokepooping defined my childhood.
icantsavemyself
death head

Custom Title: The Spear

Postby Sara » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:01 am

If my parents could have afforded it, I would have liked to have been home schooled. Every day I am reminded that people who went to the same school as I did have zero grasp on basic things like grammar, spelling, math or simple science. We attended the same classes, and they're all idiots. I think the main reason I'm not is because my mom is very intelligent. She had me reading as soon as I could talk.

That said, I'm weird enough as it is. I doubt I could have learned to function in public if I was exclusively home schooled. Maybe just from middle school til graduation? I don't know, I am not sure either one is a good choice.

Some people really screw up their kids while they are being home schooled. And not every parent has the knowledge to be a real teacher. My mom would have been great because she doubled majored in college with a Russian history and psychology degree. My dad on the other hand is dyslexic and didn't pass 8th grade in education. There doesn't seem to be a lot of accountability with home schooling either.

I think if I ever have kids I would send them to a specialized private school based on their learning styles. I know these are expensive, but, I would never have children if I didn't have the money for an education I believed would be best. Since I'll probably never have that money, I'll stay away from kids.
Sara
death head

Custom Title: Winchestertonfieldsville

Postby Josh_Dead » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:54 am

Pros and cons. Homeschooling tends to be better for overall education, but bad for socialization. It depends on if you want to be a people person or smart. You can't have both.
IT'S NOT MAN MAN OR FIVE IRON FRENZY
JOSH DEAD HAS DUCKS!!!! DUGGA DUGGA DUGGA!!!!
ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Custom Title: whistle, chk, chk

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:04 am

It all really depends. That's how everyone who's been homeschooled will start their conversation.

And it really does. Personally, I had fantastic socialization. I would socialize with people of different ages and income levels, instead of just kids my age that all live in the same area. In fact, up until maybe the last year, I've been really surprised at the lack of socialization among public schooled children. Sure, they can talk to people their own age, but once they met someone who wasn't within a year or two of their age they seemed lost, especially when they talked to adults.

It's true that both socialization and education vary among the homeschooled. And a big part of this is because people homeschool for a lot of different reasons. In the past it was usually religious resons, but now we see more people just trying to avoid bad public schools. There are also a number of families homeschooling those with mental disorders, learning disorders, and those who have been kicked out of public schools.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, while homeschooling doesn't work out for everyone, neither does public or private schools. So while we all know that weird kid who was homeschooled, we probably also know some kids from public school that didn't turn out so well either.

Overall, homeschooled kids are still outperforming those in public and private schools. Homeschoolers make teachers look bad, and they make the state look bad; and that's usually why they want to ban homeschooling. I fully support homeschooling, but it's not some magic thing that makes kids smarter or better. It's having parents who give a rootin' tootin'. That's why I'm sure Sara did much better than her classmates, her mom cared about her education. And that's why homeschoolers tend to do better; because most parents wouldn't go to all of the trouble if they didn't care about their kid's education.

Side note--Sara, homeschooling doesn't have to be super expensive, and you don't have to be an expert at something to teach your kids. Almost all towns today have a homeschool group you can join where you can get used textbooks or start a sharing system. You can also get help from other parents/older students if you don't know enough about a certain subject.
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Custom Title: Pseudo-artsy

Postby limework » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:34 am

HunterBrown wrote:I also get to make my own meals all day, none of that crappy public school stuff.

my school had the worst pizza, yet everyone loved it. it was a strange epidemic.
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
limework
noob

Custom Title: Guest

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:33 pm

ThePageStaysBlank wrote:It's having parents who give a rootin' tootin'. That's why I'm sure Sara did much better than her classmates, her mom cared about her education. And that's why homeschoolers tend to do better; because most parents wouldn't go to all of the trouble if they didn't care about their kid's education.

Yeah exactly this. It seems to me like the ones who were homeschooled and had parents who cared about their education did well, and those who were homeschooled and had parents who didn't really care or understand did not do well. Shocking, right?

I was almost homeschooled in high school because of my clinical depression and going to school made me really anxious. Ultimately I decided against it because I wanted to go into science and didn't know how I was going to get the laboratory experience to succeed in University. I guess I made the right choice? I don't really know. Doesn't seem to have come to much consequence either way. It was probably better though staying public because I might have never left the house otherwise.

One of my friends started homeschooling in Grade 6 and thinks he got the best combo ever because he learned to socialize with peers, but then had a better sheltered high school experience and focused on learning cool things like classical guitar, and did church stuff. He got along well with everyone in college.
My one best friend was homeschooled all the way through and went nuts her first chance out with drinking and guys, but then her parents were terrible parents and didn't care about anything she was doing, good bad or otherwise. My other best friend was homeschooled in elementary but not high school and did fine I guess.

I think I might want to go with the model my first friend did... I'm not sure yet. It's obviously WAY ways away so I'll see what the school climate is like then and where I'm at in life as well.
}elisa{
What good is just one string when you can strum the guitar?
monstersforyou wrote:Any man who loves Batman is a GOOD man.

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
hummingbird_mywill
death head

Custom Title: theoretician of a new paradigm

Postby HunterBrown » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:36 pm

ThePageStaysBlank wrote:Sara, homeschooling doesn't have to be super expensive, and you don't have to be an expert at something to teach your kids. Almost all towns today have a home school group you can join where you can get used textbooks or start a sharing system. You can also get help from other parents/older students if you don't know enough about a certain subject.

Very true, my mom doesn't teach me anything. Just buys be curriculum/sends me to a co-op, and I do it myself. Every now and again she'll help me study or something. But I basically educate myself.

Also, I've been home schooled since 3rd grade, but dual enrolled in 6th and 7th grade. And then every since ninth grade I've dual enrolled at the local community college. I think the whole middle school section was what made me a sociably apt person. And I find that I can really talk to everyone/anyone. Excpet like, weird people.
And I was going to say something else . . . but I forget.

Oh, home schooled girls really i feel the need to discuss the nature of certain tabboo subjects. in this case, urination me off.
owl wrote:but i am going to the doctor so he can butts them

HunterBrown
death head

Custom Title: The Wannabe Ladykiller

Postby Sara » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:58 pm

When I said afford it, I just meant that both of my parents had to work. Not that I thought it was super expensive to do it. Having 1 income or even 1 ft/1 pt income wouldn't have cut it.
Sara
death head

Custom Title: Winchestertonfieldsville

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:04 am

hummingbird_mywill wrote:My one best friend was homeschooled all the way through and went nuts her first chance out with drinking and guys, but then her parents were terrible parents and didn't care about anything she was doing, good bad or otherwise.

Sounds like she was way too sheltered. It's a classic mistake that homeschool parents can make. However, I've been seeing less of this as homeschooling has grown.

HunterBrown wrote:Very true, my mom doesn't teach me anything. Just buys be curriculum/sends me to a co-op, and I do it myself. Every now and again she'll help me study or something. But I basically educate myself.

Same here. Starting about 8th grade I would just order all of the textbooks for whatever grade I was in and then go through them. My parents really should have checked over my schoolwork more, but mostly just to make sure I was doing it.

HunterBrown wrote:Also, I've been home schooled since 3rd grade, but dual enrolled in 6th and 7th grade.
I spent five years in public school. I think that can be a good thing. However, my brother spent only two years in public school and he's really no different than me.

HunterBrown wrote:Oh, home schooled girls really i feel the need to discuss the nature of certain tabboo subjects. in this case, urination me off.

Why?
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Custom Title: Pseudo-artsy

Return to challenge.