Gun control in North America

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Re: Gun control in North America

Postby limework » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:15 am

what if we just nuke every town?
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
limework
noob

Custom Title: Guest

Postby icantsavemyself » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:20 am

I've seen deer jump fences five feet tall and I've seen them break through fences that they couldn't jump. They're ridiculous.
limework wrote:pokepooping defined my childhood.
icantsavemyself
death head

Custom Title: The Spear

Postby BrumtheLion » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Deer regulation?
BrumtheLion
zay

Custom Title: airbear

Postby Josh_Dead » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Nuke every deer.
IT'S NOT MAN MAN OR FIVE IRON FRENZY
JOSH DEAD HAS DUCKS!!!! DUGGA DUGGA DUGGA!!!!
ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Custom Title: whistle, chk, chk

Postby Josh_Dead » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:19 pm

ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Postby Timloney » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Possibly the greatest thing ever...
The dark side may have cookies, but we have Jesus
Timloney
zay

Custom Title: Pastor In Training

Postby clayton » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:01 pm

My neighbor got shot and killed last night. I've been pro gun control for a while now, but I'm pretty infuriated off now that it's come this close to home. All these rednecks I live around are fast to say "guns don't kill people, people kill people" whenever a tragedy involving a gun takes place. Wherever gun control is suggested, they say stuff like "rocks are weapons too, should they be illegal", but when has there been a mass killing by a mad man throwing rocks at a group of people? And while there are many things that can be used as a weapon, a gun is the only one who's only purpose is to kill. /rant
clayton
death head

Postby Izzyman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:21 am

One the of ways I've been looking at the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument lately and then the rock, hammer, ect are weapons argument is simply; guns are made to destroy, end, and decimate whatever it's being used on. Rocks, hammers, ect have purposes such as building, creating, and helping out with other various tasks. Guns have one purpose and that's to bring an end to the matter it comes in contact with.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a pacifist but I love shooting guns! But I plea for some more strict laws on our guns.
:raw: "Art is not the world. Art is in our hearts." :raw:
Izzyman
death head

Custom Title: Self proclaimed artist

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:52 am

Clayton -- I'm really sorry about your neighbor. I know how strange it is when someone you know primarily by proximity dies. It really sinks in how quickly things can change in a way that's very different from someone you know more personally.

As far as the guns-are-only-used-for-harm-thing, I thought about it and I do see where you're coming from. Guns were originally invented during warfare in China not long after gun powered was discovered. (Interestingly enough, early gun powered was actually used to treat skin infections.) So while guns have been used to hunt more successfully and they're popular for protection, they were invented to kill people. In fact, very early guns projected flames and shrapnel, causing extensive damage and pain (potentially far more than today's guns, depending on the shot) even if the target wasn't killed.

However, I don't see this as a reason to not have a gun. Yes, they were invented with intent to kill people. Over time they became popular for hunting and protection. (Completely understandable considering food was hard earned and many emergency systems weren't in place or had very slow response times back then). This is the intent people have today, which I why I, even though guns were invented with a dark intent, I don't see them as evil. Personally, I just feel beter knowing that I can protect myself in my own home. I have a right to feel safe here. It's my home.

icantsavemyself wrote:I've seen deer jump fences five feet tall and I've seen them break through fences that they couldn't jump. They're ridiculous.

There's a cemetery in my home town with an iron work fence that's probably five feet tall going around it. It's really old and gothic looking and all around the top are points like little spires. Deer constantly try to jump it and while they're often successful, every now and then they get stuck on it.
Hunting > Skewered Deer
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Custom Title: Pseudo-artsy

Postby GriffonTheCat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 pm

I see what you mean by the "rocks should be illegal" thing. But the idea of it is that if a crazy person wants to kill someone and doesn't have a gun because they're illegal, he'll find other means of doing it. So I can aggree with some gun control laws, but the only thing laws that make all guns illegal would do is make it harder for people to protect themselves in their own homes.
GriffonTheCat
fetus

Custom Title: Cabin boy

Postby clayton » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:02 pm

I realize that gun control right now wouldn't be effective, but I think the u.s. would be safer a generation or so later. If guns weren't so populer to begin with there be borderline of no gun murders based on data of other first world countrys were guns have always been illegal.
clayton
death head

Postby Sara » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:22 pm

There is a gun control discussion running on a friend's Facebook. I am the only one who has stated facts (with links to government compiled data) in the discussion, and yet I am wrong.

Some moron tried to justify that Christians need access to assault weapons for protection "from bad guys" by saying "Cain killed Abel; but David also killed Goliath."

Really? I told him "David killed Goliath with a pebble, not a semi-automatic."

I don't understand why people spout off emotionally formed opinions as fact, and when they're faced with fact they try and claim the bible told them its okay to have a firearm that can kill 50 people in a few minutes.
Sara
death head

Custom Title: Winchestertonfieldsville

Postby Izzyman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:33 pm

:raw: "Art is not the world. Art is in our hearts." :raw:
Izzyman
death head

Custom Title: Self proclaimed artist

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Yeah, I really liked that article when it was posted. I found it interesting how it used the "stumbling block" verse! I've only ever heard it related to alcohol or modesty, but it makes sense how it applies.

Another thought I've been thinking about lately is how in Israel, if someone kills someone with a gun that belongs to someone else, the owner of the gun is charged as well. Like, not for murder, but like for some other charge like manslaughter or something like that. All the young adults (19-22ish) who are in the army have to keep their gun in their bedroom with them when they're sleeping because they take the possession of a gun so seriously. Call your gun-possession a privilege or right, but regardless it should be taken seriously. I don't like the idea of people just having them in a night table drawer or something.
}elisa{
What good is just one string when you can strum the guitar?
monstersforyou wrote:Any man who loves Batman is a GOOD man.

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
hummingbird_mywill
death head

Custom Title: theoretician of a new paradigm

Postby GriffonTheCat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:39 pm

hummingbird_mywill wrote:I don't like the idea of people just having them in a night table drawer or something.
I can understand it being a bad idea to have multiple guns just laying around a house like i've seen some people do. But i don't see anything wrong with leaving just one or two handguns in something like a nightstand drawer. If you have all of your guns locked up in a gun safe where you can't quickly get to them, it kind've defeats the purpose of having guns for self-defense.
GriffonTheCat
fetus

Postby DarkJoey » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:12 pm

guns should be legal and everyone should own a gun and everyone should murder everyone.
DarkJoey
zay

Postby Josh_Dead » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:35 am

Lets everyone in the world play Russian Roulette at the same time with fully loaded guns.
ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Postby Thoagland » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:23 pm

What if we took all the guns and pushed them somewhere else?
Maimsmithing pays well.
Thoagland
bread head

Custom Title: Band Memorabilia

Postby joshypants99 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:17 pm

At my school we had to do 10-15 min long speeches, and someone did theirs on "Why America Should Ban Assault Rifles". I didn't agree with a lot of the speech, because his support to the question was very unprepared and not very structured at all, and mainly lasted only 3 minutes. It was interesting, though.
Lettie wrote:A couch made of candy would result in no couch eventually.
joshypants99
zay

Location: Smithfield, SW Pennsylvania, USA, North America, Planet Earth.
Custom Title: Chief Log-a-log

Postby GriffonTheCat » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:57 pm

I can't believe someone would write that... An assault rifle ban would just make things worse
GriffonTheCat
fetus

PreviousNext

Return to challenge.