I saw something beautiful in something unpleasant!

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

I saw something beautiful in something unpleasant!

Postby Nehemiah » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:00 am

Hello everyone!

So, something has been bothering me for a couple days now and at first it was just lame, but then I was reminded of something awesome.

I'll just stick to the short version of this story- the important parts and all;

At my church I play guitar on the worship team- I've been doing it for.. I think close to a couple years now. I'm known to make more mistakes than everyone else pretty regularly.

So, last Sunday I made more mistakes than I had ever- it was gut wrenching! And this is what begins the story.

Wednesday night, church, 6:10 pm. It was a cold dark night. The wind was blowing, and I was cold.
I got to church and began to warm my chilled marrow, when I chose to sit on the couch. I was a bit nervous at first, showing my face to the people I had so heavily embarrassed myself in front of, but I had spent the days since Sunday diligently repairing myself from the trauma! But then, the worship leader called me out into the hall.

I followed him out and got some... er ... instruction on not making silly faces during worship. ((This was news to me, but I said hm, maybe I looked silly while I was trying to fix my mistakes Sunday?))
Which was a little disheartening but not a big deal.
But then he told me something that had been bothering me- He was talking about Sunday and more or less said that I would embarrass myself just as much again- He could almost guarantee it - and that I'm just going to be known as that guy... implying what, I wonder- that I would never get better? That I would forever be marked as the guy that makes mistakes all the time?

I wasn't sure how to take it! At first it was easy to let it go but it keeps coming back to me. How unpleasant! But as I've prayed about it and such I've been reminded of the beautiful paradox of the church.
We're called to love and be as Christ, yet we are not capable of being so perfect. Human beings just can't do it- only God can.
So though it didn't feel quite so "beautiful" at the time, its really a relief to see that it doesn't matter what people say when they step on your heart like mine was in this situation because Church left in human hands doesn't complete its mission- it just causes more harm than good. But Church in God's hands is perfectly awesome and amazing and uplifting. It's good to know that even with ridiculous things like this happening, He's still in control and He believes in me even if few others do!

Just thought I'd share how good He is to me in the face of discouragement.
Nehemiah
fetus

Custom Title: Generic Wizard

Re: I saw something beautiful in something unpleasant!

Postby limework » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:17 am

nice take on a stupid situation. hopefully your "leader" will come around.
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
limework
noob

Custom Title: Guest

Postby freethemanitee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:14 pm

I'd take a guy with your heart to lead me in worship than some generic guitar wizard any day.
freethemanitee
fetus

Custom Title: Baptist Refugee

Postby TorchesTogether » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Ryan is a generic wizard, but not a generic guitar wizard.

We also play on the same worship team, haha. It's been getting increasingly...interesting. I ran away to Oregon and made him play alone last Sunday. But that's an excellent way to look at the whole situation, Ryan!
TorchesTogether
death head

Postby Nehemiah » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:59 am

Your words ring true Michael! I don't want my leader to look bad or anything- He's got a good heart! People are still people though, no matter what day of the week it is!
Nehemiah
fetus

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Some churches have really different values I guess, and takes on how complex/proper things should be. My church is super super chilled out. I call the moderator Saturday evening and say "hey! Me and some of the youth are starting to play music. How about we do a song tomorrow?" and he's like "yeah for sure!" and we aren't even that great but everyone is so encouraging about it. On the spot he might ask me to come up to the front and tell the church how the youth group is going. Goes both ways.

Another church in town that does a huge youth service for the whole city, so our small group of 6 or so goes. It has lights, crazy lyric videos, and lots of fancy instrumental work. If anyone makes a mistake there it's this HUGE DEAL. It makes it easy for me to say "the way we do it is right, and they're wrong". Yet, I'm a big fan of fancy spoken word poem videos on youtube, moreso than just simply reading them out. I like the shenanigans that some bands do at shows... I don't know. It's something I have been thinking about lately. How or when does complexity glorify God? (a postulate being that increasing complexity means increased chances of making mistakes)
}elisa{
What good is just one string when you can strum the guitar?
monstersforyou wrote:Any man who loves Batman is a GOOD man.

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
hummingbird_mywill
death head

Custom Title: theoretician of a new paradigm

Postby Josh_Dead » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:24 am

You probably don't want to hear this, but I totally see where he's coming from. When it comes to a band, you're really only as good as your weakest member. He was probably just egging you on a bit. Sometimes you need to be roughed up to get you going. Churchy folk or not.

That said, practice now my sentence makes no sense out of your instrument. You wont get better if you don't practice. And no, playing at church does not count as practice. Practice is on your own time. Hammer out chords, scales, finger exercises...whatever your instrument calls for.

Also, if your parts are simply too hard for you at the moment, simplify them so you can play them without messing up during a set, but practice the harder part on your own until you get it down. Always learn your parts.
IT'S NOT MAN MAN OR FIVE IRON FRENZY
JOSH DEAD HAS DUCKS!!!! DUGGA DUGGA DUGGA!!!!
ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Custom Title: whistle, chk, chk

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:01 pm

I never play music with people (more from lack of chances than a real aversion to playing with people). However, I've always assumed that playing along with people would be much harder than playing solo, and if someone is prone to mistakes it would make it hard for the rest of the group.
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Custom Title: Pseudo-artsy

Postby Nehemiah » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:18 am

I see where you guys are coming form for sure. I practice until the marrow of my bones ache, so to speak - and I nail all my parts when I practice alone. I mean, the parts I play... they're not difficult. They're simply not! I know them like the back of my hand and then some, yet... something happens.. something happens at times where things go awry. The crazy thing is- I play them at home 40 minutes before church (nearly) every Sunday morning. Sometimes things just don't go down the way I practice!
Nehemiah
fetus

Postby Josh_Dead » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:57 am

Perhaps you have strage fright? I don't know. That would explain it if you can play your parts fine on your own during practice. Just relax when you play. Don't think about anyone but the band and the music your playing. Just play the music and fight the man.
IT'S NOT MAN MAN OR FIVE IRON FRENZY
JOSH DEAD HAS DUCKS!!!! DUGGA DUGGA DUGGA!!!!
ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Custom Title: whistle, chk, chk

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:21 am

Maybe you need more practice playing with people. I know when I play duets with my piano teacher I have a hard time hearing either the piece as a whole or just my part. I get more easily confused about where I'm at and am more prone to mistakes.
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Custom Title: Pseudo-artsy

Postby Timloney » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Just last night at my youth group something happened. Our drummer, Collin had to play a song he didn't know, had been practicing for an hour before service and still didn't know. So when service started and the band started playing...you could tell there were mistakes. It was pretty bad (coming from a listener's view point) but the point is we powered through. I never pay enough attention to anyone else during worship but at least for myself, I didn't care. The point of worship is just that, to worship God in song. The act of worship is far more important than any mistake, or even the music being played. Just my opinion though.

P.S. I take worship VERY seriously! One time when I got done it was just me and the worship team left in the sanctuary, that was kind of awkward.
The dark side may have cookies, but we have Jesus
Timloney
zay

Custom Title: Pastor In Training

Return to challenge.