Is God the cause of all good things?

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Is God the cause of all good things?

Postby clayton » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:18 am

Just about every time something happens in the favor of a religious person, I hear them attribute God to it. This has always concerned me even in my more religious days and is one of the reasons I doubt religion today. For example, a friend of mine recently got in a wreck, but he was okay. I saw a few Facebook post saying stuff like "thank God for his protection". While I'm thankful that he is alright, I have trouble seeing God involved in it, because that would mean he was not protecting the other person involved in the wreck who was injured. A few years ago, there was a tornado a few hours away from me that killed hundreds. I heard lots of religious jargon from survivors thanking God for protecting them. If God was really involved in it, wouldn't it make more since to keep the tornado from striking in the first place? I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I'm curious to know your thoughts.
clayton
death head

Re: Is God the cause of all good things?

Postby limework » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:55 am

good question. there's a lot of variables in situations like the two you mentioned. as far as the inclement weather, i have heard it said that satan still has dominion over weather patterns (the Bible refers to him as the "lord of the air"). i haven't looked into this myself, but it's hearsay.

but i do know what you mean. it bugs me too when people arbitrarily include God in things without stopping to think if He really was part of it. now, technically, everything ultimately does have to do with God, but to mindlessly credit Him with good happenings is just ignorant. example: "I got a raise at my job, it must have nothing to do with my hard work. Thank you Jesus!" like anything else, it's a matter of the heart. if you really believe there was supernatural intervention in your situation, then yeah, thanking the Lord is okay. but if you do so out of obligation then it's pretty lame.
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
limework
noob

Custom Title: Guest

Postby Corvid Canine » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Does God do something because it is good or does is something good because he does it? The question of the ages.
I get up in the morning, divide by zero, howl at the moon and eat a bowl of surreal.

(insert blastbeat)
Corvid Canine
death head

Custom Title: The Forum Monster

Postby JWat » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:44 pm

More regarding your struggle with doubt at the moment Clayton, don't let other people (religious or otherwise) affect your relationship with God. Nobody has it perfect, so basing your faith off of how ridiculous other Christians are is just setting yourself up for disappointment. I have a lot of the same issues with the church. Whatever conclusion you come to regarding God or a deity should be your own. Praying for you, buddy.
JWat
admin

Custom Title: international businessman

Postby limework » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:19 pm

well said.
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
limework
noob

Custom Title: Guest

Postby clayton » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:06 pm

I think at this point, there's just no going back to religion for me (christianitys not a religion yadda yadda), however I'd like to at least reconcile myself with christianity. Regardless of my stance on religion, I still believe in a form of spirituality, but I've yet to find any religion that I think adequately describes it without going into contradictions or making God into something that I think normal humans can do better than, and I realize christianity as its intended to be at least has good intentions. Right now, I irk wherever I hear something spiritual even if its not necessarily something bad or even that I can agree with. I think the only way I can reconcile myself is to move, which I won't be able to do for probably at least another 3 years. I realize there's no such thing as a perfect Christian or any other religion, but every religious thing somebody does in my area has some sort of personal or political agenda tired to it. Id like to think its different in a less religiously/politically conservative area.
clayton
death head

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:26 pm

Total agreement with Jeremy.

I think you have a legit point about moving... I would have had a massively difficult time having any kind of faith if I had stayed in my hometown because it's like you see certain problems, and you need to leave to see if it's possible that those aren't problems in other places. I mean, every church is going to have its problems, some more than others, but it's important to get more perspectives.
I'm just rambling at this point, but I'm curious why you can't leave for 3 more years?
}elisa{
What good is just one string when you can strum the guitar?
monstersforyou wrote:Any man who loves Batman is a GOOD man.

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
hummingbird_mywill
death head

Custom Title: theoretician of a new paradigm

Postby Josh_Dead » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:05 am

Whether any god had any control of things at one point or not, now'a days, I don't think any god is controlling anything. Good and bad things happen to good and bad people. Sometimes it's complete coincidence and other times those people, good or bad, bring it upon themselves. Simple as that.
IT'S NOT MAN MAN OR FIVE IRON FRENZY
JOSH DEAD HAS DUCKS!!!! DUGGA DUGGA DUGGA!!!!
ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Custom Title: whistle, chk, chk

Postby clayton » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:34 am

@hummingbird it will likely be at least three years because I'm currently in college and not in a position to move out of my parents house. I may be able to make a smaller move in a few years, but its going to be a while before I can move to a different state.
@josh that's more or less how I see things.
clayton
death head

Return to challenge.