Racism

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Racism

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:48 pm

This topic kind of came up tonight whilst hanging out with people, and I find it interesting how so many people can jump to the conclusion of "you're racist".

I find there are so many variations on things that it gets ridiculous as it is. Here in Canada we call people "black", "white", "brown", and "Asian" mostly, and if you're not one of those then it would probably be specified, particularly people from Central/South America, or the Polynesian islands. My understanding is that it's considered racist in parts of the states to call people black or brown, and my friend in Texas said that kids could get detention for that! Here it's entirely as normal as calling someone blonde, brunette, tall, or short.

Also... it's considered politically correct to refer to the First Nations (technical term) people as "Aboriginal", and the fact is that THEY don't use the term Aboriginal. A lot of them don't even know what it means! That seems incredibly stupid to me. I'm not going to call people a name they don't even recognize. I call them Native, which is what they say, and it makes sense.

I don't know. Probably none of you are the politically correct crowd anyway... I just find it absurd.
}elisa{
What good is just one string when you can strum the guitar?
monstersforyou wrote:Any man who loves Batman is a GOOD man.

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
User avatar
hummingbird_mywill
death head
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:03 am
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Custom Title: theoretician of a new paradigm

Re: Racism

Postby JustSkiff » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:11 am

I think it's fine to call someone black. It's wrong to refer to a group of them as blacks, but probably not racist.

However, "brown" is a completely different topic, but it's probably just as bad as calling every Hispanic person Mexican.
JustSkiff
zay
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: NOVA

Re: Racism

Postby Sara » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:51 am

Yeah, you never wanna call people in the states brown.

The political correct term for us here is Native American, but still 90% of people call them Indians. Which I really don't understand. They have nothing to do with India. You think this would have been solved a long time ago.
User avatar
Sara
death head
 
Posts: 3838
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Ohio
Custom Title: Winchestertonfieldsville

Re: Racism

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 am

hummingbird_mywill wrote:This topic kind of came up tonight whilst hanging out with people, and I find it interesting how so many people can jump to the conclusion of "you're racist".

I find there are so many variations on things that it gets ridiculous as it is. Here in Canada we call people "black", "white", "brown", and "Asian" mostly, and if you're not one of those then it would probably be specified, particularly people from Central/South America, or the Polynesian islands. My understanding is that it's considered racist in parts of the states to call people black or brown, and my friend in Texas said that kids could get detention for that! Here it's entirely as normal as calling someone blonde, brunette, tall, or short.

Also... it's considered politically correct to refer to the First Nations (technical term) people as "Aboriginal", and the fact is that THEY don't use the term Aboriginal. A lot of them don't even know what it means! That seems incredibly stupid to me. I'm not going to call people a name they don't even recognize. I call them Native, which is what they say, and it makes sense.

I don't know. Probably none of you are the politically correct crowd anyway... I just find it absurd.


The term black could get you in trouble depending on what area you are in (which varies by city or town, not just state) or what context you say it in and who you're talking to. Saying something like "that black girl just bumped into me" in an irritated voice isn't really something you want to say, but "that black guy is really cute" is completely fine. Basically, if it's positive black is okay to say, but if it's negative you should probably use African American. Blacks is usually taken as negative.

I've never heard someone use the term brown in America. It's not that it has bad connotations it's just not used. And because it's not used, it would probably taken negatively, which means you can't say it.

Race in America is one of those subjects you don't really talk about in mixed company. And maybe that sounds bad but it's true. Most of the time people are quiet about race, unless there are only a few people around. It's not that people are racist or complaining about blacks, Asians, or any other race or ethnicity. Usually it's just people feed up with all the talk about race and the political correctness. When you're white you have to be really careful about what you say and how you say it. And a lot of the complaining comes from that.

I've always kind of wondered about racism in other countries. I feel like in America people are always ready to shout racism (unless it's racism against white people, then more power to you) and everything is racist and holding minorities back and blah, blah, blah. Honestly, I think if people stopped focusing on race so much we'd have a lot few problems. I always find it incredibly ironic that programs created to combat racism are almost always inherently racist themselves.
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
User avatar
ThePageStaysBlank
admin
 
Posts: 6330
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:27 pm
Location: Duluth, MN (My Desk)
Custom Title: Pseudo-artsy

Re: Racism

Postby vertebrae » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:52 am

a former (white) coworker of mine recently put a status on facebook that went something said something like, "just because you're proud of your race doesn't mean you're racist." later he posted an anti-Obama photo that just said "don't re-nig".

but he's not racist. he's just proud of his race.
someone tell Drew that he is very fresShh
User avatar
vertebrae
bread head
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:50 am

Re: Racism

Postby limework » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:52 am

"black" is not inherently racist, so it surprises me to hear that it has negative connotation in some parts of the country, according to izzi.
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
User avatar
limework
noob
 
Posts: 7483
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:45 pm
Location: Branson, MO
Custom Title: Guest

Re: Racism

Postby Sara » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:45 am

ThePageStaysBlank wrote:I've always kind of wondered about racism in other countries.


I can only speak to Indonesia, because its the only other country I've been in longer than a few days. They have a lot of racism and classism there, and like it is here, it's usually combined. There are a lot of Indo-Chinese people, who's grandparents came from China because they could make a lot more money and pay a lot less for things. So the "upper class" there is almost all Indo-Chinese. They treat any race that isn't Indo-Chinese or Chinese like they're some kind of peasants, and honestly believe they're better than them. They are also lighter skinned, which is more desired there. The full Indo people hate them, because they're jerks.

So it's pretty much the same thing as it is here.
User avatar
Sara
death head
 
Posts: 3838
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Ohio
Custom Title: Winchestertonfieldsville

Re: Racism

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:10 pm

limework wrote:"black" is not inherently racist, so it surprises me to hear that it has negative connotation in some parts of the country, according to izzi.


Oh yeah. Where I live it's not too big of a problem, but in my mom's hometown it's terrible. There's so much racism between blacks and whites it's unbelievable. People have been shot for being black or white.

Sara wrote:They are also lighter skinned, which is more desired there.


This always makes me so sad. All my life I wished I had darker skin or that I would at least tan more than I do. And most white women are always talking about trying to tan in the summer. And yet, here are all these people with gorgeous dark skin and they don't want it! A friend of mine works for Lancome and she was talking about how these dark skinned girls (especially the Asian girls) would come to her asking for make up to make their skin lighter.
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
User avatar
ThePageStaysBlank
admin
 
Posts: 6330
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:27 pm
Location: Duluth, MN (My Desk)
Custom Title: Pseudo-artsy


Return to challenge.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron