Eternal Tourture..

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Eternal Tourture..

Postby phyro_gp » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Disscuss I guess.. Personally I believe in Annihilationism because I've read a lot on eternity and the like and from what I've read it seems satan and his demons are the only ones destined for this punishment, not mankind.. Yo mods and admins If you guys think this topic is over the line delete at will. The reason I'm asking is when I went to church, these kinds of questions were always taboo.
phyro_gp
zay

Custom Title: wok?

Re: Eternal Tourture..

Postby clayton » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Annihilationism seems interesting and a legitimate possibility. haven't really done too much studying to know what to believe. Lately I've been wondering if all people who don't "accept Jesus" go to hell. I had a class with a Muslim who looked a lot more like Jesus than most Christians.
clayton
death head

Postby phyro_gp » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:58 pm

clayton wrote:Annihilationism seems interesting and a legitimate possibility. haven't really done too much studying to know what to believe. Lately I've been wondering if all people who don't "accept Jesus" go to hell. I had a class with a Muslim who looked a lot more like Jesus than most Christians.

Well there's a equal amount of good studies for it as well as against it. Either way I see it, no matter what I think on the matter or what others think it should NEVER overshadow how I should treat them.

Btw that's one beastin Muslim.
phyro_gp
zay

Postby JackBanshee » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:04 pm

I personally think that the torture is more related to eternal separation from God's love than anything else, whatever that may mean. I think that that can imply certain things that are like actual physical torture, but I don't really know for sure.
JackBanshee
zay

Postby manicgeodude » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:21 pm

ive always thought annihilationism makes more sense than the alternative. there are plenty of very clear verses that say that eternal life is impossible without salvation. if people live forever but they're suffering, thats untrue.
charis wrote:Image
manicgeodude
bread head

Custom Title: swag

Postby heavymetal_dante » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Is there any biblical evidence to back this up?

Because I think in Revelation it's pretty clear that the Second Death is being cast into the lake of Fire, and that Satan and nonbelievers alike are sent there.

manicgeodude wrote:if people live forever but they're suffering, thats untrue.

But they won't be alive. It's eternal death.
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain

Custom Title: I'll kill yer dog

Postby phyro_gp » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:37 pm

heavymetal_dante wrote:Is there any biblical evidence to back this up?

Because I think in Revelation it's pretty clear that the Second Death is being cast into the lake of Fire, and that Satan and nonbelievers alike are sent there.

manicgeodude wrote:if people live forever but they're suffering, thats untrue.

But they won't be alive. It's eternal death.

Greg Boyd has some awesome thoughts on this.

But out of every scripture and translation I've read it seems to point to humans being consumned by the fire and Satan and his demons and the beast and his followers are tourtured day and night. To be honest I couldn't imagine my worst enemy going through eternal touture.

Some annilationists believe If the tourture is true it only last for so long but then after that time ends the people simply cease to exist. If the torture is true I can't understand why in the world would it be eternal? I can't begin to imagine the pain of it all.

In all honesty I remember as a child pleading with God about not burning in Hell for eternity and the thought of eternal torment scared me to death. Now that I'm older I would never wish that worry on anyone.
As I grew older and I remember asking God angrily why in the world is eternal torture just, and why do we use the concept as a tool to scare people to Christ? Didn't Christ take that punishment for us by enduring pain over nine hours half dead, and when he passed, concour hell itself, so that sinners may not feel It's sting? I still struggle with the concept all th time and doubt I'll ever have peace on it..

I would encourage anyone curious on this, to research it. Heck even though I made this topic I'm not the best guy to ask I'm just stating thoughts.
phyro_gp
zay

Postby Corvid Canine » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Honesty, I personally don't want to face eternity; heaven or hell. Both, in the long run, seem rather miserable to me.

Hell: eternal torture does not sound like fun.
Heaven: eternal stagnation, singing praises to a god that, quite honestly, I can not bring myself to ever say I'd love, and knowing that some of those I love are being tortured forever, or worse; forgetting them completely.

All this to say, even if I did believe, I'd certainly hope for annihilation. Perhaps this doesn't help, but these are just a skim over of my thoughts.
I get up in the morning, divide by zero, howl at the moon and eat a bowl of surreal.

(insert blastbeat)
Corvid Canine
death head

Custom Title: The Forum Monster

Postby phyro_gp » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Corvid Canine wrote:Honesty, I personally don't want to face eternity; heaven or hell. Both, in the long run, seem rather miserable to me.

Hell: eternal torture does not sound like fun.
Heaven: eternal stagnation, singing praises to a god that, quite honestly, I can not bring myself to ever say I'd love, and knowing that some of those I love are being tortured forever, or worse; forgetting them completely.

All this to say, even if I did believe, I'd certainly hope for annihilation. Perhaps this doesn't help, but these are just a skim over of my thoughts.

Your not alone. One time I remember praying that if humans that don't accept Christ eternally burn I honestly don't want to exist because If im sorrowful now toward the lost, how much more sorrow will I experience in heaven when I'm perfected while I know people are experiencing the agony of a million infinite deaths.
phyro_gp
zay

Postby heavymetal_dante » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Didn't Christ take that punishment for us by enduring pain over nine hours half dead, and when he passed, concour hell itself, so that sinners may not feel It's sting?

But you have to accept that Christ died and rose again. It's not just a free ticket for non-repentant sinners. God's been pretty clear from the very beginning that no human being is worthy to even look upon his face. A single sin fates us to an eternity apart from the creator.

The only reason we can even have a relationship with God is because we've accepted that we need to be saved. After that, he no longer sees our sin, but Jesus' perfection. That's the only thing keeping us away from Hell. And if we don't accept that then there's nothing standing between us and judgement. And there's a lot of people that haven't accepted that.
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain

Postby phyro_gp » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:01 pm

heavymetal_dante wrote:
Didn't Christ take that punishment for us by enduring pain over nine hours half dead, and when he passed, concour hell itself, so that sinners may not feel It's sting?

But you have to accept that Christ died and rose again. It's not just a free ticket for non-repentant sinners. God's been pretty clear from the very beginning that no human being is worthy to even look upon his face. A single sin fates us to an eternity apart from the creator.

The only reason we can even have a relationship with God is because we've accepted that we need to be saved. After that, he no longer sees our sin, but Jesus' perfection. That's the only thing keeping us away from Hell. And if we don't accept that then there's nothing standing between us and judgement. And there's a lot of people that haven't accepted that.

I think I honesty wrote that in the heat of the moment.. But yeah we need to accept Christ even Though he died freely for our freedom from death. One of the best quotes I ever heard is, "I dont believe in Jesus because of the Bible, I believe in the Bible because of Jesus."
phyro_gp
zay

Postby Zinja#2 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:53 am

heavymetal_dante wrote:

This right here is one of the biggest reasons why Christianity is something I will never believe in.
Zinja#2
zay

Custom Title: Dramatic Pancakes

Postby heavymetal_dante » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:44 am

Because the God of the universe provided a way to eternal paradise despite the fact that none of us deserve it?

Or because you think you deserve to be in God's presence on your own merits?
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain

Return to challenge.