Raw Rock Church?

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Raw Rock Church?

Postby phyro_gp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:47 pm

I'm putting this topic in this section became I feel It holds controversial ideas. In all honesty this place has become for me what a actual church should be. Throughout my life I've never felt truly comfortable in church. Anywho any thoughts guys?

Btw If this is the wrong place, please move to the proper area.
User avatar
phyro_gp
zay
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:19 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Georgia.
Custom Title: wok?

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby Nehemiah » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by Raw Rock Church- I mean, we are the church so I would certainly hope, and am very pleased to hear that the people here are being that very thing. As for being uncomfortable in a church, I would say that the building itself doesn't matter, but the gathering of the people to worship God that does! Thats what going to church is actually about, so I am pressed to ask, do you know why being in a church makes you uncomfortable?
User avatar
Nehemiah
fetus
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: Bath, ME
Custom Title: Generic Wizard

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby phyro_gp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Nehemiah wrote:I'm not entirely sure what you mean by Raw Rock Church- I mean, we are the church so I would certainly hope, and am very pleased to hear that the people here are being that very thing. As for being uncomfortable in a church, I would say that the building itself doesn't matter, but the gathering of the people to worship God that does! Thats what going to church is actually about, so I am pressed to ask, do you know why being in a church makes you uncomfortable?

Well I was born going to church. My dad used to be a paster, so I've seen the good and bad of church. I've seen children emotionally hurt because of misread scripture or the "I'm right your wrong mentality., and people doubting the sincerity of my faith due to how I dress and other things. Mind you everything I've seen isn't bad: people healed, hearts mended, etc. There is some slight bitterness but for me its the feeling that a church is more than a building with a podeum and alter where you wear stuffy cloths, and go up to an alter call even though you'd rather speak to God because you want to and not because some people tell you ..

I don't find any condemnation or guilt from anyone on here. Everyone can disscuss controversial ideas here and yeah we all may disagree at times but this place has took a place I need and cant seem to get in a church(building and the community that comes with it.)
In a way I'm also telling all you guys on here that I thank you all for striving to be like Christ in everything.

I didn't mean for this topic to get kind of gushy, but I do love this community.
User avatar
phyro_gp
zay
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:19 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Georgia.
Custom Title: wok?

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby Nehemiah » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:43 am

A far as gushyness goes, you've done well. :D :P

Its always lame when christians don't act like christians- especially at church! But its part of being human I guess- people being lame and all. We all do it. In its own way, its kind of beautiful-- even though it hurts. Everyone is broken, christian or otherwise-- the church is just a bunch of broken messed up people who love Jesus. Its so... powerful to see that there really is nothing in ourselves that makes us good. Its God. Everything is God. God does it all. He partners with us and all, but I mean.. the glory is His because we couldn't do "it" without Him.

I certainly don't advocate churches hurting their people, but as far as it happening to me (which occasionaly it does- it happens to everyone I'm sure), I understand and I can't help but forgive... because I'm the same way, and God loves them just as much as me.
User avatar
Nehemiah
fetus
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: Bath, ME
Custom Title: Generic Wizard

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby limework » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:46 am

both of you have valid points. and there's 199424534543 people that feel the exact same way, phyro. and props to nehemiah for being the bigger man and forgiving those who have hurt him instead of holding grudges and being all "church sux and they're all hypocrites lol" - that takes maturity.

i see this place as a church too. i too am generally uncomfortable in church, but not here. i have a real connection with a lot of you. it's one of the reasons i read every single post. plus i just care about you all so much :')
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
User avatar
limework
noob
 
Posts: 7483
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:45 pm
Location: Branson, MO
Custom Title: Guest

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby phyro_gp » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:02 am

limework wrote:both of you have valid points. and there's 199424534543 people that feel the exact same way, phyro. and props to nehemiah for being the bigger man and forgiving those who have hurt him instead of holding grudges and being all "church sux and they're all hypocrites lol" - that takes maturity.

i see this place as a church too. i too am generally uncomfortable in church, but not here. i have a real connection with a lot of you. it's one of the reasons i read every single post. plus i just care about you all so much :')

Yeah I'd agree on all counts. The feeling started in the old A/N forums for most of us I guess. Plus i love how no misstep we may share here is taboo. In a way sharing all these faults helps not just me but people who struggle with similar problems.

In terms of real church I understand other people can take it with It's flaws but I'm not that strong in all honesty.
User avatar
phyro_gp
zay
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:19 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Georgia.
Custom Title: wok?

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby rawADAMkills » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 pm

limework wrote:i see this place as a church too. i too am generally uncomfortable in church, but not here. i have a real connection with a lot of you. it's one of the reasons i read every single post. plus i just care about you all so much :')


This. <3
JeremySexytime wrote:Confession: I've been trying to be the first person in Adam's sig because I love him.

Image
User avatar
rawADAMkills
death head
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Custom Title: Jan Beremy

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby rambo_zombie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:08 pm

rawADAMkills wrote:
limework wrote:i see this place as a church too. i too am generally uncomfortable in church, but not here. i have a real connection with a lot of you. it's one of the reasons i read every single post. plus i just care about you all so much :')


This. <3

limey, stop getting so soft on us...
Image
User avatar
rambo_zombie
death head
 
Posts: 3079
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:09 am
Location: in your head... GA
Custom Title: Forum Elder

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby limework » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:23 pm

i wasn't getting soft. i'm a man!
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
User avatar
limework
noob
 
Posts: 7483
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:45 pm
Location: Branson, MO
Custom Title: Guest

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby Nehemiah » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:14 pm

phyro_gp wrote: Plus i love how no misstep we may share here is taboo. In a way sharing all these faults helps not just me but people who struggle with similar problems.


This statement here is full of copious amounts of win! Helping eachother bear our burdens is so vital to life itself! If I didn't have people I could go to about the difficulties of life I feel as though I really would not make it. The fact that the kind of necessary relationships for dealing with life that we all need can be (and definitely are) formed here, on the internet-- on this very forums... its nothing short of awesome.
User avatar
Nehemiah
fetus
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: Bath, ME
Custom Title: Generic Wizard

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby rambo_zombie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:04 am

limework wrote:i wasn't getting soft. i'm a man!

PFFT men are softies.
Image
User avatar
rambo_zombie
death head
 
Posts: 3079
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:09 am
Location: in your head... GA
Custom Title: Forum Elder

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby phyro_gp » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:21 am

Nehemiah wrote:
phyro_gp wrote: Plus i love how no misstep we may share here is taboo. In a way sharing all these faults helps not just me but people who struggle with similar problems.


This statement here is full of copious amounts of win! Helping eachother bear our burdens is so vital to life itself! If I didn't have people I could go to about the difficulties of life I feel as though I really would not make it. The fact that the kind of necessary relationships for dealing with life that we all need can be (and definitely are) formed here, on the internet-- on this very forums... its nothing short of awesome.

Yeah, most internet communities don't have that. Which is understandable to a extent. Through text or internet It's so hard to detect what someone means unless its verbally spoken(a video).
On here It's not that way.
User avatar
phyro_gp
zay
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:19 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Georgia.
Custom Title: wok?

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby manicgeodude » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:30 am

haha, i feel very similarly. i know im relatively new to the forum but ive only ever felt welcome. and i dont know many of you all that well but ive kinda grown fond of everyone here anyways.
the fact that everyone is soooo different here and we're all cool with it is really refreshing
charis wrote:Image
User avatar
manicgeodude
bread head
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:14 pm
Location: Orange County, CA
Custom Title: swag

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby rambo_zombie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:49 pm

To me this forum just proves to be an extension of what Showbread tries to show people. We are loving, accepting, and honest.
I have been a part of the Showbread forums since I was 14, so that's 7 years now... wow. Through it we've changed websites, the sounds of Showbread have changed, and forum members have gone in and out. But through it all, the ideas have held the same. The members here are all formed from the same cloth. It's just really beautiful to me and that's why I always end up coming back.
I love this place like an extension of my family.
You know if you need prayer, truth, or advice you will find it in someone here. There are so many different opinions and views expressed and honestly I think Showbread would have it no other way.
Image
User avatar
rambo_zombie
death head
 
Posts: 3079
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:09 am
Location: in your head... GA
Custom Title: Forum Elder

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby phyro_gp » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:54 am

rambo_zombie wrote:To me this forum just proves to be an extension of what Showbread tries to show people. We are loving, accepting, and honest.
I have been a part of the Showbread forums since I was 14, so that's 7 years now... wow. Through it we've changed websites, the sounds of Showbread have changed, and forum members have gone in and out. But through it all, the ideas have held the same. The members here are all formed from the same cloth. It's just really beautiful to me and that's why I always end up coming back.
I love this place like an extension of my family.
You know if you need prayer, truth, or advice you will find it in someone here. There are so many different opinions and views expressed and honestly I think Showbread would have it no other way.

I believe in terms of years on the forums mine is about the same. The only reason I took so long to join the rrm forums was the small donation fee(always broke due to medical crap)
User avatar
phyro_gp
zay
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:19 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Georgia.
Custom Title: wok?

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby icantsavemyself » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:01 pm

rambo_zombie wrote:To me this forum just proves to be an extension of what Showbread tries to show people. We are loving, accepting, and honest.
I have been a part of the Showbread forums since I was 14, so that's 7 years now... wow. Through it we've changed websites, the sounds of Showbread have changed, and forum members have gone in and out. But through it all, the ideas have held the same. The members here are all formed from the same cloth. It's just really beautiful to me and that's why I always end up coming back.
I love this place like an extension of my family.
You know if you need prayer, truth, or advice you will find it in someone here. There are so many different opinions and views expressed and honestly I think Showbread would have it no other way.


I disagree....is I disagree. still a thing?
limework wrote:pokepooping defined my childhood.
User avatar
icantsavemyself
death head
 
Posts: 2720
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:26 am
Location: BUTTe FALLS, OR
Custom Title: The Spear

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby heavymetal_dante » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:26 am

It seems like a number of people on this forum are uncomfortable with churches or have bad experiences with them. It really saddens me because almost all of my knowledge comes from what I've heard from others at my church. I've been taught some truly convicting things and I've also made life-long friends there.

I know this probably sounds like I'm bragging, but I wish more churches were like mine and had positive welcoming environments. Because it's truly important to have a community of believers surrounding you. This forum is a good place for discussion sometimes, but I don't think there's a single thing that can replace learning from your elders, and listening to God speak through others as you have weekly discussions. I've gone a long time without attending church before, and I can honestly say that I feel farther from God when I don't attend. It doesn't have to be a brick and mortar church either, sometimes I learn more at my Bible studies at a friends house. But believers getting together and learning from the word is incredibly important for growth in your faith. And when churches shun people and judge them, the only thing they're doing is making it so someone can't learn about God. That truly upsets me that some churches are like that.

"For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."
Image
User avatar
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain
 
Posts: 8651
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:31 pm
Custom Title: I'll kill yer dog

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby heavymetal_dante » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:29 am

I do really like posting here though. Posting in challenge forces me to look through my bible more intently when I'm trying to prove a point or explain something. I'm still not in the habit of reading my bible every day. Which sucks.
Image
User avatar
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain
 
Posts: 8651
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:31 pm
Custom Title: I'll kill yer dog

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby Sara » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:53 am

I agree that it's sad. I would love to have a church like that. I have found it hard to find a church that fits that around here. My roommate goes to a great church every week, but it's huge. They have 3 services Sundays and one on sat because so many people attend. When the church is that large you can't really form a community. On the contrary all the smaller churches seem to fall victim to the small town mindset where everyone gossips about one another and is only concerned on who is having the best scandal that week. It's lame.
User avatar
Sara
death head
 
Posts: 3838
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Ohio
Custom Title: Winchestertonfieldsville

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby phyro_gp » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:49 am

Sara wrote:I agree that it's sad. I would love to have a church like that. I have found it hard to find a church that fits that around here. My roommate goes to a great church every week, but it's huge. They have 3 services Sundays and one on sat because so many people attend. When the church is that large you can't really form a community. On the contrary all the smaller churches seem to fall victim to the small town mindset where everyone gossips about one another and is only concerned on who is having the best scandal that week. It's lame.

Yeah It's like the church I used to go to.. mind you the paster and his family are some of the most loving and humble people I've ever met. Some of the people.. not so much.. heck I remember one time I was explaining my thoughts on music and stuff and everyone including the youth teacher laughed at me.. seems silly but it kind of hurt..
User avatar
phyro_gp
zay
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:19 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Georgia.
Custom Title: wok?

Next

Return to challenge.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron