Raw Rock Church?

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:16 am

I agree. I think there's a balance between a church being sucky and being something you can change. I was talking to one of my friends about this just an hour ago. I view churches as I would a friend. A church is only human. Friends screw up sometimes or say something that annoys you, or forget about you, or whatnot, and you have to just love them, try and help them change that part of themselves, and realize you're not perfect either. Sometimes though, friends are just toxic and bringing you down, and you simply can't help them so it's better to let them go, at least for now.

All my churches have lacked in some way, but they're only human. Sometimes there are selfish people, sometimes the worship is lame, sometimes the pastor makes no sense and he's boring when he preaches, sometimes people are petty and seem clueless to the hurt going on outside the church... but at the end of the day you have to help where you can, and ask to be humble enough to try and change what needs to be.

Online forums are awesome though. I first devoted myself to actually following Christ through an online forum for young teens when I was 10 (yes I was too young and was the youngest one... but I was accepted) because everyone was talking about their daily devotions and I was like "what? Every day? That's a good idea? :? " and that changed everything when I actually got into the word. This is the 4th one I've been a part of, and the longest. Man. I can't believe it's been 2.5 years already and I've met like 10 of you.
}elisa{
What good is just one string when you can strum the guitar?
monstersforyou wrote:Any man who loves Batman is a GOOD man.

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
hummingbird_mywill
death head

Custom Title: theoretician of a new paradigm

Re: Raw Rock Church?

Postby GiraffeInMyThroat » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:34 pm

Sara wrote:I agree that it's sad. I would love to have a church like that. I have found it hard to find a church that fits that around here. My roommate goes to a great church every week, but it's huge. They have 3 services Sundays and one on sat because so many people attend. When the church is that large you can't really form a community. On the contrary all the smaller churches seem to fall victim to the small town mindset where everyone gossips about one another and is only concerned on who is having the best scandal that week. It's lame.

I don't go to a large church, but I know that one way a lot of large churches are able to form community together is through community groups- which aren't just weekly Bible studies. They tend to be focused directly on a specific neighborhood/geographical area- expanding on what is being taught on Sundays, serving communion, singing songs, reaching out to the surrounding area and such, etc. So that way there's continuity and following of the early church/Acts method of fellowship, but still within the scope of a very large overall congregation.

And even then, it's not just big churches that do this. My church has about 80 people, and we still have 3 community groups meeting in different houses around town. So anyways, it's just something to keep an eye out for, so that you don't have to feel like you should write off a bigger church automatically just because it's big.

Now I do know that here in 21st century evangelical America... a lot of big churches tend to exist in affluent suburbs. And I hate to generalize, but sometimes that amounts to shallow teaching, prosperity gospel, etc. Because of that a lot of people might immediately write off ALL big churches. So I dunno. I guess to boil it down, discernment is everything.
meh.
GiraffeInMyThroat
death head

Custom Title: There are some who call me...Tim?

Previous

Return to challenge.