Gay Marriage Discussion

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby The_Fedora » Fri May 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Alright, I've had a few... arguments about my view on the subject.

AS a christian, I honestly think gay marriage should be allowed.
These are my reasons why.
1. This country is not a christian nation, why stand up on a topic that FOR some reason, is so important? So this is where the country draws the line? haha
2. The act of homosexuality, is between a person, and God. Not man and man.

So, yes, it's a sin, no doubt there, but so is a thousand other things that ARENT illegal.

This is not a compromise of a christian faith, this saying that our beliefs aren't forced on anyone, why should this specific belief be lawfully forced upon people?

Thoughts?
limework wrote:
it's all good dude. i know this is super cliche but it's not the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean.
User avatar
The_Fedora
fetus
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:13 pm
Location: York, Pa
Custom Title: Zac (Zinny)

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby GiraffeInMyThroat » Sat May 19, 2012 10:54 am

It's supposed to be about keeping the institution/tradition of marriage sacred. But really this tradition only applies in the church. if those who are anti-equality are really honest then they would be calling for the banning of all marriages not rooted in Christianity.

But yeah, a lot of this stems from whether or not a person believes America is a Christian nation, or one founded in Christian principles- and I believe it is neither. Unfortunately my experience with people who believe the opposite is that they tend to pretty much cover their ears and yell "lalalalala!" when told that they're wrong about this.
meh.
User avatar
GiraffeInMyThroat
death head
 
Posts: 3137
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:28 am
Custom Title: There are some who call me...Tim?

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby limework » Sat May 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Topic moved 4 U.

Gay marriage...I don't see the point in objecting to it. Not because I think it's OK, but because it's not going to matter whether or not gay people get married. They're going to be gay either way. So really, the topic of gay marriage is really about homosexuality in general. The conservative peeps say that to allow gay marriage is to taint the sanctity of marriage. Well, marriage as we know it today is relatively young; it hasn't always involved the government and a piece of paper saying you're married. So to hold such things in high regard is to place stock in man-made traditions. In other words, you're not sinning on a higher level if you're gay and decide to get married; you're gay no matter what.

Do I think homosexuality is a sin? Well I think it's pretty obvious it's not the way God intended us to roll. A penis fits into a vagina for a reason. But to chastise homosexuals as if they're any worse than the rest of us doesn't make sense either.
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
User avatar
limework
noob
 
Posts: 7483
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:45 pm
Location: Branson, MO
Custom Title: Guest

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby Sara » Sat May 19, 2012 3:29 pm

GiraffeInMyThroat wrote:It's supposed to be about keeping the institution/tradition of marriage sacred. But really this tradition only applies in the church.


I think that it shouldn't be a legal issue at all. If a church doesn't feel comfortable marrying a gay couple then they don't have to. If they are okay with it then marry it up.

I think with the divorce rate in this country and celebrities being glorified for their 8th 19 hour marriage and what not its pretty laughable to say that THIS is what will screw with the sanctity of Marriage.
User avatar
Sara
death head
 
Posts: 3838
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Ohio
Custom Title: Winchestertonfieldsville

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby JWat » Sat May 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Homosexuals have just as much right to marry as anybody else. I actually do not believe that being gay is a sin. I know what the bible says, I just think there's no way it's as simple as it looks on the pages. I refuse to believe that someone can be damned for something that is completely not up to them.
User avatar
JWat
admin
 
Posts: 7203
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:34 pm
Location: NS, Canada
Custom Title: international businessman

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby Josh_Dead » Sat May 19, 2012 7:52 pm

^ That.
IT'S NOT MAN MAN OR FIVE IRON FRENZY
JOSH DEAD HAS DUCKS!!!! DUGGA DUGGA DUGGA!!!!
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Josh_Dead
demetrius
 
Posts: 5221
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:10 am
Location: in between my headphones
Custom Title: whistle, chk, chk

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby Corvid Canine » Sat May 19, 2012 10:54 pm

JWat wrote:Homosexuals have just as much right to marry as anybody else. I actually do not believe that being gay is a sin. I know what the bible says, I just think there's no way it's as simple as it looks on the pages. I refuse to believe that someone can be damned for something that is completely not up to them.


I applaud you, sir!
I get up in the morning, divide by zero, howl at the moon and eat a bowl of surreal.

(insert blastbeat)
Corvid Canine
death head
 
Posts: 2035
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:47 pm
Custom Title: The Forum Monster

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby JustSkiff » Sat May 19, 2012 10:56 pm

One strong argument I've heard is the idea that God not only judges people but nations as well. I personally think they should have the right to get married. It isn't like what they've been doing out of marriage will be much different than what they do in marriage.
JustSkiff
zay
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: NOVA

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby vertebrae » Sat May 19, 2012 11:50 pm

JWat wrote:I actually do not believe that being gay is a sin. I know what the bible says, I just think there's no way it's as simple as it looks on the pages. I refuse to believe that someone can be tide with bleach for something that is completely not up to them.

i disagree. for one thing, i don't believe what both pro- and anti-gay marriage people believe, that your sexual preference defines you. i don't think gay people should be singled out as subjects of some kind of particularly wrathful hate from God, nor as people who need a special holiday to celebrate their sexual preference.
the way i see it, a person with a tendency to act on homosexual desires is no different than a person with a tendancy to act on desires to steal things (a habitual thief). stealing is obviously a sin, but just because they have a tendency to sin in that way does't mean they are beyond redemption. they can ask for and recieve forgiveness, assuming they make a concious decision to avoid all sin whenever the temptaion arises. they won't immediately lose all urges to steal, and will end up having to repeatedly ask for forgiveness for the same kind of sin for the rest of their life, but they can learn to resist the temptation. it is no different for gay people.

if you think that a person can't be sinning when they are just doing what feels right to them, then what about a person who feels good about stealing cars? or a person who lies in order to get what they want? using your logic, which i believe is based in hedonism (if it feels good,it is good), those people are justified by the fullfillment of the desire they have to commit those sins.
if this is not your view, please explain to me otherwise.
someone tell Drew that he is very fresShh
User avatar
vertebrae
bread head
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:50 am

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby Sara » Sun May 20, 2012 12:32 am

If what vertebrae is saying is that it's not the attraction but the action that is the sin then I agree with him. I think it goes deeper than the same temptation a kleptomaniac would feel and I dont think that homosexuality is a mental illness (like compulsive theft is).
User avatar
Sara
death head
 
Posts: 3838
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Ohio
Custom Title: Winchestertonfieldsville

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby vertebrae » Sun May 20, 2012 7:39 am

Sara wrote:If what vertebrae is saying is that it's not the attraction but the action that is the sin then I agree with him.

that is correct.
someone tell Drew that he is very fresShh
User avatar
vertebrae
bread head
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:50 am

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby JWat » Sun May 20, 2012 11:23 am

Not quite what I'm saying. I believe people can be born gay, therefore is not a choice. It occurs naturally. It can also be the result of certain upbringings, but either way isn't a choice. But being gay or straight does not define a person, so that's not what I'm saying either.
How can an action be a sin for one married couple, but not a sin for another married couple? That just doesn't make sense to me.
User avatar
JWat
admin
 
Posts: 7203
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:34 pm
Location: NS, Canada
Custom Title: international businessman

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby DarkJoey » Sun May 20, 2012 1:49 pm

vertebrae wrote:
JWat wrote:I actually do not believe that being gay is a sin. I know what the bible says, I just think there's no way it's as simple as it looks on the pages. I refuse to believe that someone can be tide with bleach for something that is completely not up to them.

i disagree. for one thing, i don't believe what both pro- and anti-gay marriage people believe, that your sexual preference defines you. i don't think gay people should be singled out as subjects of some kind of particularly wrathful hate from God, nor as people who need a special holiday to celebrate their sexual preference.
the way i see it, a person with a tendency to act on homosexual desires is no different than a person with a tendancy to act on desires to steal things (a habitual thief). stealing is obviously a sin, but just because they have a tendency to sin in that way does't mean they are beyond redemption. they can ask for and recieve forgiveness, assuming they make a concious decision to avoid all sin whenever the temptaion arises. they won't immediately lose all urges to steal, and will end up having to repeatedly ask for forgiveness for the same kind of sin for the rest of their life, but they can learn to resist the temptation. it is no different for gay people.

if you think that a person can't be sinning when they are just doing what feels right to them, then what about a person who feels good about stealing cars? or a person who lies in order to get what they want? using your logic, which i believe is based in hedonism (if it feels good,it is good), those people are justified by the fullfillment of the desire they have to commit those sins.
if this is not your view, please explain to me otherwise.









Congrats you are now perpetually sinning, i recommend joining one of those gay camps. local church should sponsor one.
User avatar
DarkJoey
zay
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby Josh_Dead » Sun May 20, 2012 1:57 pm

How about this? I know it's hard for you to wrap your head around, but just bear with me here...

Forget about homosexuality being a sin. I know, I know... the bible and god and all that, but try - just try to temporarily ignore all that personal belief stuff. How can having positive feelings for another human being possibly be a bad thing? Yeah yeah yeah lust and sin... great. Forget it. If a dude loves a dude or if a woman loves a woman - who cares? Love is love. Who are you and who is a supposedly ~unconditionally~ loving god to say no to love? Love is not sending people to eternal damnation because they love someone who has the same sex parts as they do. Love is not telling two fully functioning human beings who contribute as much to society as anyone else that they can't get married just because they share the same sex parts. my vocabulary is poor everything about that.
IT'S NOT MAN MAN OR FIVE IRON FRENZY
JOSH DEAD HAS DUCKS!!!! DUGGA DUGGA DUGGA!!!!
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Josh_Dead
demetrius
 
Posts: 5221
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:10 am
Location: in between my headphones
Custom Title: whistle, chk, chk

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby DarkJoey » Sun May 20, 2012 2:01 pm

"yes, i slept with another man. the bed sex was nice. i enjoy enough to live forever in now my sentence makes no sense" - cool guy
User avatar
DarkJoey
zay
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby rawADAMkills » Sun May 20, 2012 2:08 pm

I agree with Jeremy completely on this one.*EDIT* ALSO JOSH. *END EDIT* After getting to know a few people who are gay personally, I simply cannot see it as a choice.
Look at all of the gay people who have committed suicide. No one kills himself/herself because they "aren't allowed to steal." They are killing themselves because their families, friends, and WORLD is telling them that what they cannot change is wrong. If someone told me to change my hair to blonde because having brown hair is evil, I couldn't do it. Brown hair is what I have naturally. Sure, I could dye it, but that wouldn't change what I have naturally. That would simply mask the truth to appease the hateful.

But this thread isn't about homosexuality, it's about gay marriage (or to use that quote I see on Tumblr all the time) "or as I like to call it, marriage."
I side with the "why do Christians care what a corrupt nation does because we are not of this world and simply required to love others unconditionally?" group. I see no reason why two committed homosexual people cannot reap the many benefits of marriage in this country. No reason at all.
JeremySexytime wrote:Confession: I've been trying to be the first person in Adam's sig because I love him.

Image
User avatar
rawADAMkills
death head
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Custom Title: Jan Beremy

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby The_Fedora » Mon May 21, 2012 3:53 pm

JWat wrote:Homosexuals have just as much right to marry as anybody else. I actually do not believe that being gay is a sin. I know what the bible says, I just think there's no way it's as simple as it looks on the pages. I refuse to believe that someone can be damned for something that is completely not up to them.



I agree and disagree. Homosexuality is a sin, however, there is no way that they are tide with bleach. No sin is unforgiveable, I don't know where people ever got that notion, but it's a sin just like everything else is.

nothing is "your gonna go to hell!!" about it
limework wrote:
it's all good dude. i know this is super cliche but it's not the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean.
User avatar
The_Fedora
fetus
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:13 pm
Location: York, Pa
Custom Title: Zac (Zinny)

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby The_Fedora » Mon May 21, 2012 3:56 pm

So here is where I stand,
I believe it is a sin, but I don't know why.
I agree with the many people before me saying that how can one married couple not be sinful; and another, be.
I don't understand why it's a sin, as someone said before, love is love, there is no reason why it's a sin.


I don't really know what else to say, I've never really gone against my beliefs against what the bible says before, but I almost feel like I should here.
limework wrote:
it's all good dude. i know this is super cliche but it's not the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean.
User avatar
The_Fedora
fetus
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:13 pm
Location: York, Pa
Custom Title: Zac (Zinny)

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion

Postby HunterBrown » Mon May 21, 2012 5:34 pm

Can someone explain to me why the act of homosexuality is against what Jesus said? I am still confused.
I am open to anything anyone says, but as far as I've looked into it, I don't see anything wrong with being gay or the gay sex or anything.
owl wrote:but i am going to the doctor so he can butts them

Image
User avatar
HunterBrown
death head
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: Palmghetto, FL
Custom Title: The Wannabe Ladykiller

Postby JWat » Mon May 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Jesus never said a word about homosexuality.

I didn't really mean tide with bleach (though I have heard a lot of people claim that), I'm just saying.
User avatar
JWat
admin
 
Posts: 7203
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:34 pm
Location: NS, Canada
Custom Title: international businessman

Next

Return to challenge.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron