alcohol - with a twist!

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Re: alcohol - with a twist!

Postby rawADAMkills » Sat May 12, 2012 1:48 pm

I know, I know...old thread. But I'm back and feel like starting up conversations again, even though they probably won't go anywhere.

ANYWAY. Ever since I started swearing and drinking (the latter taking me longer to figure out), I've felt much more capable of connecting with people who need love in their lives. No, swearing and drinking didn't cause this, but rather them seeing that I'm not going to judge the little things they do and therefore people trust me with bigger things.
It's not some creepy plot to undermine people by any means, but I know where my limits are and I know what God does/doesn't want me to do, and therefore I'm spreading love the best I can.
JeremySexytime wrote:Confession: I've been trying to be the first person in Adam's sig because I love him.

rawADAMkills
death head

Custom Title: Jan Beremy

Postby sorrythanks » Sat May 12, 2012 2:35 pm

In high school days, living in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin (State with the highest underage drinking rate, among other statistics) alcohol was easier to get than a movie ticket. I drank a whole lot. I also didn't want anything to do with any controlling god of any kind. I was lazy and suicidal. Basically my life mirrored closely to David Rivers in The Spinal Cord Perception. My abstinence from alcohol/drugs has nothing to do with my beliefs, I just feel that I don't need them to enjoy life. I also have no problem with people who use them. 99% of my friends do. I would much rather get wrecked on tons of soda. Thanks to Showbread and friends in the U.P. I found a better way.
sorrythanks
fetus

Custom Title: you're welcome.

Postby rawADAMkills » Sun May 13, 2012 11:54 am

sorrythanks wrote:I don't need them to enjoy life. I also have no problem with people who use them. 99% of my friends do. I would much rather get wrecked on tons of soda. Thanks to Showbread and friends in the U.P. I found a better way.

This.

Also, I almost freaked out because I thought you were from MI.
JeremySexytime wrote:Confession: I've been trying to be the first person in Adam's sig because I love him.

rawADAMkills
death head

Postby sorrythanks » Sun May 13, 2012 12:23 pm

I used to live on the WI/MI border but moved recently.
sorrythanks
fetus

Postby rambo_zombie » Tue May 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Corvid Canine wrote:My view is this; I like beer.

lol I didn't read the thread but... this is my view as well.
rambo_zombie
death head

Custom Title: Forum Elder

Postby limework » Wed May 16, 2012 12:11 am

Hi5 me2
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
limework
noob

Custom Title: Guest

Postby Josh_Dead » Wed May 16, 2012 1:12 am

lol shut up. my veiw is this- beer is seaking gross and liqor is great. owned.
IT'S NOT MAN MAN OR FIVE IRON FRENZY
JOSH DEAD HAS DUCKS!!!! DUGGA DUGGA DUGGA!!!!
ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Custom Title: whistle, chk, chk

Postby lawlzkplxthxbi » Wed May 16, 2012 2:08 am

I used to hate beer, then I gave it a chance. It's really great.
lawlzkplxthxbi
death head

Postby riot2003 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:47 am

obligatory straight edge post. I feel like this thread would be much different if fish was still around.
The Beard is Back.
riot2003
death head

Custom Title: Beard

Postby limework » Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 am

lawlzkplxthxbi wrote:I used to hate beer, then I gave it a chance. It's really great.

This, except it took me a good 5 years to acquire a taste. I'm not sure why I gave it so many chances, but I'm glad I did.
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
limework
noob

Custom Title: Guest

Postby Zinja#2 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:45 am

It's definitely a very acquired taste
Zinja#2
zay

Custom Title: Dramatic Pancakes

Postby rambo_zombie » Wed May 16, 2012 1:45 pm

There are so many different types of beer. I just kept going till I found something I enjoyed. I drink the nasty stuff like Nati Light when we're playing beer pong or something but otherwise I'll have Blue Moon or whatevs.
I love liquor but with pizza... well a cold beer is WAY better.
And wine is delightful as well :D
rambo_zombie
death head

Custom Title: Forum Elder

Postby JustSkiff » Wed May 16, 2012 2:51 pm

I just graduated from a Bible College, and I am in the works of finding a Youth Ministry position with a church. Beer isn't that important to me, but I do like having the option to drink if I want, and it was against the rules at the college, at least for students. I did break this rule on a few occasions. I have seen some churches that have it in their guidelines for staff that they do have to abstain, and I really do understand their position. I am hoping to find a church that wouldn't have a problem with occasional drinking, with the understanding that I don't advertise it to the teens or anything like that.
JustSkiff
zay

Postby Josh_Dead » Wed May 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Alright, I can't say I hate beer in general. There are so many different kinds. I've only tried a few. So far, I have yet to find a beer I enjoy. Perhaps I just haven't acquired the infamous taste.
IT'S NOT MAN MAN OR FIVE IRON FRENZY
JOSH DEAD HAS DUCKS!!!! DUGGA DUGGA DUGGA!!!!
ImageImageImage
Josh_Dead
demetrius

Custom Title: whistle, chk, chk

Postby rawADAMkills » Thu May 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Brace yourself for the pretentious nature of this sentence:
I didn't like beer until I went to Europe.

I love it now, but I'm also very picky. I like a good IPA, but generally I prefer a beer I can't see through. And don't even try to give me a Bud Lite or Miller or any gross beer-flavored water like that. I also prefer locally brewed stuff anyway.

riot2003 wrote:obligatory straight edge post. I feel like this thread would be much different if fish was still around.

Hahaha oh fish...yeah, he would have words, that's for sure. I'd probably roll my eyes, but I miss the guy.

rawADAMkills
death head

Postby GiraffeInMyThroat » Fri May 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Just because I feel like throwing a monkey wrench into the equation- how about alcohol in relation to the law? I'm 18 and have had alcohol before a few times (not been intoxicated), and I'm kinda grappling with whether or not that should continue/happen again before I turn 21. I guess it really boils down to how you interpret the Bible in relation to "the Man"/Uncle Sam etc. But I mean, how many Christians harmlessly drive 70 on the interstate every day instead of 65? Probably most, right? I dunno...
meh.
GiraffeInMyThroat
death head

Custom Title: There are some who call me...Tim?

Postby Sara » Fri May 18, 2012 1:30 pm

In a majority of KY and TN the posted limit is 70.
Sara
death head

Custom Title: Winchestertonfieldsville

Postby GiraffeInMyThroat » Fri May 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Sara wrote:In a majority of KY and TN the posted limit is 70.

Lol okay, but you get my point.
meh.
GiraffeInMyThroat
death head

Custom Title: There are some who call me...Tim?

Postby sorrythanks » Fri May 18, 2012 5:08 pm

GiraffeInMyThroat wrote:Just because I feel like throwing a monkey wrench into the equation- how about alcohol in relation to the law? I'm 18 and have had alcohol before a few times (not been intoxicated), and I'm kinda grappling with whether or not that should continue/happen again before I turn 21. I guess it really boils down to how you interpret the Bible in relation to "the Man"/Uncle Sam etc. But I mean, how many Christians harmlessly drive 70 on the interstate every day instead of 65? Probably most, right? I dunno...

I for sure see your point. I'm guessing no one will be tide with bleach to hell for going five over the speed limit/having an underage drink...But it's one of those things like "how close can I get to the line without crossing it?" sort of deal. I'm not a history teacher, but I don't think they had a legal drinking age in Jesus' day...
sorrythanks
fetus

Postby vertebrae » Sat May 19, 2012 10:37 am

in Jewish culture, you start drinking alcohol young (i believe around the mid-teenage years), but drunkenness is a big no-no. you would be bringing shame to your family if you were seen drunk in public. in contrast, American culture says drunkenness is fine as long as you don't hurt anybody, and it's even encouraged in some circles. so alcohol is, in a way, more dangerous in modern America than it is in Jewish culture or was in Bible times. for that reason, i dislike it when people justify their heavy alcohol use with examples of frequent references to alcohol in the Bible.
someone tell Drew that he is very fresShh
vertebrae
bread head

PreviousNext

Return to challenge.