Cursing and "dirty" words.

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Cursing and "dirty" words.

Postby Thoagland » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:16 pm

The power of life and death is in the tongue...unless you aren't christian...then it doesn't matter for you
Thoagland
bread head

Custom Title: Band Memorabilia

Re: Roo Loves The Cuss Out of You Guys

Postby HxC Scene Roo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:27 pm

Where in the Bible does it list what the swear words are? Nowhere.
What does this mean? That there are none.

It's the intent and meaning behind the word, not the word, that matters.
Words are words, meaningless sounds we make with our mouths, until we give them meaning.
If I don't mean anything bad by saying "I love the my vocabulary is poor out of you." then it's not bad.
By the same token, if I say "Hey, snow cone you, you bicycle." that is bad, because I mean it that way.

The only thing the Bible is specific on about language is taking the Lord's name in vain.

I'm not a christian though, btw.
clayton wrote:Roo is always right.
HxC Scene Roo
bread head

Custom Title: Roo-rific

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:54 pm

That sounds like what Alyssa says.
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Custom Title: Pseudo-artsy

Postby heavymetal_dante » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:03 pm

No matter what weird excuses you come up with, cuss words are still vulgar to most of society.

Yeah, you can make up whatever definition you want for them, but that's stupid.

Saying that there's "technically nothing biblically wrong" with cussing is just trying your hardest to see what you can get away with. Avoiding using certain words in order to please other people is not very difficult.

They carry a connotation, and generally speaking they are vulgar.

I cuss too much, and I need to learn not to, so don't think I'm judging or anything. I know that cussing really isn't something I should do.
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain

Custom Title: I'll kill yer dog

Postby JWat » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm comfortable cussing if I feel it's not inappropriate to the time or situation. Though I definitely do cuss way more than I should, and I doubt there's often been an appropriate time when I did. I need to work on that. But I think Roo's right, it's all just noises until we give it meaning. If we mean nothing offensive by it, I see no problem with it.

Question for anyone, just curious:
I remember a story about a guy who, one day, decided he would kill himself that night. He wrote up a note and everything. But a friend managed to convince him to come to a mewithoutYou concert with him, so this guy decided he would wait until after the concert. The kid became saved that night at the concert, and he was overjoyed. He shouted at the top of his lungs "I seaking love God!"
Would you consider that a sin? Would you tell this guy, "Woah, listen man.. You can't do that."? Or would you let him continue in his joy?
JWat
admin

Custom Title: international businessman

Postby heavymetal_dante » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:11 pm

I think it's stupid to say that words don't matter just because they're "noises from your mouth". I could say cheating on your girlfriend doesn't matter, it's just "bodies touching".

We as a species have given meaning to certain actions, and just because you can identify the fact that yes, words DO come out of your mouth, doesn't mean you can do what you want. Yes, in this certain context the use of the word "my vocabulary is poor" is obviously not supposed to be offensive, but it's not always clear cut. How many times have you been hurt or offended by someone's words, regardless of the intent behind them?

And no I wouldn't call him out on it, mostly because I don't just point out people's sins randomly. It's not for me to decide whether something is a sin in a certain context or not.
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain

Postby vertebrae » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:19 pm

I simply don't see the point in cuss words.
I've never encountered a "swear word-appropriate" situation.
someone tell Drew that he is very fresShh
vertebrae
bread head

Postby JWat » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:19 pm

@andrew: That isn't even kind of the same situation.. Adultery is clearly spelled out as sin. Don't seaking do it.
JWat
admin

Postby heavymetal_dante » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:23 pm

JeremySexytime wrote:@andrew: That isn't even kind of the same situation.. Adultery is clearly spelled out as sin. Don't seaking do it.

But I'm just saying that that kind of excuse is stupid. Reducing something to it's base description doesn't change what it is. Our culture has defined the whole "girlfriend-boyfriend" relationship. That didn't really exist in the bible specifically. Doesn't that mean that it's okay to do what you want? It's JUST our culture that defined it. Doesn't that mean it can be disregarded?
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:26 pm

HxC Scene Roo wrote:It's the intent and meaning behind the word, not the word, that matters.

I feel like there's a separation here that needs to be pointed out. The intent can change but the meaning... not so much. Generally we don't use cuss words to mean what they really do mean but it's still there. And this is why it's sort of a problem. We don't think of the phase "you suck" as referring to oral sex so much but that's where it came from.

That said, I think that using God's name in vein is probably a bigger problem than cussing. And so we really have our priorities backwards.

And, no, I wouldn't call him out. It's not a huge deal to me but I do feel it's something that, I at least, should avoid.
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Postby JWat » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:33 pm

I'm just saying, in that situation, he was just completely filled with joy and God.. His first instinct was just to shout. And that's what came out. It's not like he was planning "Hey, I'm going to swear now." It was just his natural reaction to experiencing God.
JWat
admin

Postby heavymetal_dante » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:36 pm

I don't really see the point of this.

Even if that specific instance wasn't a sin, the guy is still a sinner, and it's still inappropriate to cuss at people 99% of the time.
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:41 pm

We're all sinners.

And, yeah, I know he was simply happy and that's his usual way. It's not a big deal, especially given the environment, his past, and the intent.

I really think the most important thing is to not take The Lord's name in vein. Personally, I don't even like to use OMG. It just feel like He thought it was so important he made it a command so why not try to keep that out of your language and worry about cussing as a secondary matter.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:03 pm

what jeremy said. haha.
clayton wrote:i want some
Matt
death head

Custom Title: more chill now

Postby Rawlyssa » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:57 pm

ThePageStaysBlank wrote:That sounds like what Alyssa says.

We ARE best frans <3

Seriously, the bible says don't use words to put down others.
It's still not cool to use "seaking" as every other word, but it only bothers me because it makes the person sound illiterate, like their vocabulary is just too small to think of any other word.
paik wrote:Don't take me as a racist, I love KFC.

Josh_Dead wrote:
sweetprincess wrote:I don't even KNOW how he gets his hair to do that
It's the spirit.
Rawlyssa
demetrius

Custom Title: Adam's Pam Beasley.

Postby heavymetal_dante » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:59 pm

Like I said, that still sounds like "technically the bible doesn't say this, so I can say what I want as long as I don't mean it to be mean!"

Like the Bible is just a bunch of rules, and we're just trying to find loopholes to justify our behavior.

And like I said, no matter what you intend with your words, people can still get hurt and offended.
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain

Postby heavymetal_dante » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:15 am

I'm going to quote some Bible verses but I don't know if any of you will care. All I know is that this whole conversation and the verses I've looked up make me want to change. Also maybe we should move this to challenge lol, even if just for future reference.

James 3:5-12
5Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

7All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, 8but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

So we're going to use what our society deems vulgar language, or say things of an inappropriate sexual nature, and then praise God with the very same tongue? Doesn't he deserve more than that? We're going to just base our opinions on cursing and taking his name in vain on whether or not it sounds good?

I don't care whether I'm "allowed" to cuss. I care what the Bible says, even when it doesn't strictly prohibit something.
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain

Postby Rawlyssa » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:45 am

It says when the tongue speaks EVIL or CURSES, it never says "my vocabulary is poor, Age Of Reptiles is by far the best Showbread album, foul undigested lump of big league chew, hind quarters, etc."

CUSSING IS OF THE MANS HEART POINT BLANK.

I'm not TRYING to find a loophole, Andrew. SURPRISINGLY, my life isn't about trying to find loopholes for my lifestyle, whether it be what I say or how I take a rootin' tootin' picture.

ALL I'M TRYING TO SAY IS THIS IS WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS.

Take it how you want. I don't care. Judge me all you want. God knows my heart and will convict me if need be.

Josh_Dead wrote:
It's the spirit.
Rawlyssa
demetrius

Postby Liuhadeins » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:59 am

But not everyone knows your heart. It's not always obvious how something was intended, and can very easily be misinterpreted by others.

And they are called CURSE words too... And a lot of people find them offensive. The particular words aren't going to be in the Bible, of course. It was a different culture, a different language. So excuses like that never work.

I'm not judging - I personally don't cuss much, it's just not me. But other people using it doesn't offend or bother me.
Liuhadeins
bread head

Custom Title: Wait... what?

Postby Rawlyssa » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:10 am

So? Doesn't the Bible mention that God knows your heart? To me, that's more important than to any idiot that gets offended by a word that wasn't intended to be used to offend.

Josh_Dead wrote:
It's the spirit.
Rawlyssa
demetrius

Next

Return to challenge.