Homosexuality v.3(?)

Discuss challenging/controversial issues/ideas here. Petty argumentative jargon will become refuse.

Re: Homosexuality v.3(?)

Postby Rawlyssa » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:16 am

So my friend Sean wrote this:
Chick-fil-A had a Support Day today where a substantial amount of Christian customers came out to support the company in light of the large boycott caused by their anti-gay stance. You'd never see that many Christians line up to help at a homeless shelter or a food bank, which just blows my mind. Standing outside of a restaurant bashing a lifestyle is not what we're called to do as Christians. We're called to love, no matter what, just like Jesus loves all of us despite our sins.

And his friend wrote this:
Sean, it has nothing to do with bashing a lifestyle, it has to do with standing up for what is right, biblical, and supporting a company that holds fast to the Bible. Satan has twisted our brains to lose sight of what the Bible even says,by letting our "culture" dictate what is right, making Christians "not accepting" and "judgmental". I love my gay friends with Christ's love but I cannot and will not say that it is ok to be gay.

It just frustrates me that freedom of speech is lost, at least for believers. Its protected for the glbt community.

And I responded with this:

‎1) Well said on all points, Sean.
2) No one is taking anyone's freedom of speech. Chik Fil A has the right to say anything they want. But so does the opposing side.
3) Speaking of freedoms, hate to break it to you, but this is not a Christian nation. the legality of gay rights has nothing to do with the Bible. Our first amendment states that our congress shall make no law making respecting an establishment of religion. So if we throw out the idea of religion when dealing with this, which constitutionally, we must do, it comes down to one question: Are we all equal? I just think of the white folk picketing against equal rights for colored people, or the struggle for women's rights, and I wonder if this is any different. Back then they used the bible to oppress the minority.
4) This is coming from someone who absolutely loves Jesus and strives to be like Christ everyday. However, I see no point in arguing if homosexuality is a sin or not. Personally, I lean that it is not. In my extensive study on it, I just don't see why people think God's love is separated from the person God made them to be. But I digress. Whether you believe it is a sin or not, God only asked you to focus on loving the sinner. But hating and judging the "sinner", does that not mean you are not sinning? and even doubley so? When did Jesus EVER get into politics when He was alive? So many people expected him to, but He didn't, instead he hung out with the Prostitutes and tax collectors, without judgement, and with pure AGAPE love. Would Jesus take part in the Chik Fil A day? I don't think he'd bother it at all, not because He doesn't believe in the cause or not, but because he has more important things to focus on, like loving the people who are bother supporting and opposing the chik fil a belief.
5) You're right. Christians are known as judgmental, so shouldn't it be up to us to break that stereotype? And how is a couple of Gay guys marrying each other affect your life? How will it change the course in which you do so, and more importantly, how will it affect your walk with God?
6) I am not one for politics because I believe it goes against everything I think Jesus stood for. I share my opinion in LOVE. And it's just that: my findings and opinion. You are free to believe what you want. I'm just saying... People can get fired for being gay. having a law which restricts the freedoms of a gay person is telling them they are less than. And I don't think Jesus would be down for that. He loves us all equally. And hhow he loves us so.

AND THEN HE TOLD ME I HAD THE DEVIL IN MY THOUGHTS.

So I told him he wasn't worth argueing with. So sad.

TL;DR

Sean made a good point about loving people regardless of which gender's face they'd rather kiss. His friend played the religion card "gay is bad" blah blah blah. I nicely reminded him that religion and politics are different things and there are laws against putting religion in laws,this is a civil rights issue and Jesus wouldn't deal with politics anyway, because he'd focus on love, I told him I don't see homosexuality as a sin, and he told me I had the devil in my thoughts. So there's that.

My view on homosexuality is so clear now. I could talk about it for days. I support them.
paik wrote:Don't take me as a racist, I love KFC.

Josh_Dead wrote:
sweetprincess wrote:I don't even KNOW how he gets his hair to do that
It's the spirit.
Rawlyssa
demetrius

Custom Title: Adam's Pam Beasley.

Postby Prof_Membrane » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:11 pm

My mom had brought up an interesting point about gay marriage. She was wondering how it could possibly affect the biblical imagery of the church being Christ's bride. I don't remember all of it, but it was something about how, if two guys get married, wouldn't it be kind of confusing for new/young Christians to hear themselves referred to as a bride and Christ as the groom.

And apparently there was a lesbian couple at my church. The couple had an adopted child and they wanted to get the child baptized, but weren't sure how the rest of the church would respond to it or if my pastor(s) would even allow such a thing. They went to our head pastor and asked him what the Bible said about homosexuality, gay people in the church, etc, and to get his opinion on if they should have their child baptized there. Rather than condemning them or telling them they're disgusting sinners or anything like that, my pastor said something along the lines of, "Well, the Bible says a lot of things about a lot of things. For now, just come to the sermons, pray about it, and see what God tells you about your questions." I'm pretty sure he said something about how Christ loves them, regardless, too. Anyway, they did as he suggested, and apparently they felt God telling them that their lifestyle was wrong. Like, they said "God's telling us that this is wrong."

I wasn't there, so I don't have all the details, but it made me think. I've read the article posted in this thread that supports the thought of people that are actually born gay and it isn't actually sinful. I've heard stuff from both sides and I'm actually not even sure which side I take. So I resolved to just settle on taking no side, opting instead to just live like Christ and strive to show all people his love.
I am on the road crew. This is my stop sign.
Prof_Membrane
bread head

Postby JustSkiff » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:45 pm

I know someone who has admitted to being attracted to the same sex, but he recognizes it as the action would be a sin. Thus, he has chosen to remain single for his life. I don't think that this is the right choice for everyone, but it is certainly a choice that I respect.
JustSkiff
zay

Postby BrumtheLion » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 am

i think it's a sin. but i don't hate gays.
BrumtheLion
zay

Custom Title: airbear

Postby clayton » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:58 am

I think I understand what the Bible has to say about it, I just don't understand the logic of why it should be sinful.
clayton
death head

Postby JustSkiff » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:29 am

clayton wrote:I think I understand what the Bible has to say about it, I just don't understand the logic of why it should be sinful.

I think on a first level, there's the argument that it goes against the command to populate the earth. But that then brings up a whole new argument of can sins change and is a sin always a sin to different generations.
JustSkiff
zay

Postby clayton » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Yeah, if earth gets overpopulated, should homosexual relationships be encouraged?
clayton
death head

Postby Rawlyssa » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:54 am

Two GREAT hour long videos I found on the subject. Long, but very worth it.

paik wrote:Don't take me as a racist, I love KFC.

Josh_Dead wrote:
sweetprincess wrote:I don't even KNOW how he gets his hair to do that
It's the spirit.
Rawlyssa
demetrius

Custom Title: Adam's Pam Beasley.

Previous

Return to challenge.