Writing Fantasy-Fiction.

Books, literature, and comics.

Writing Fantasy-Fiction.

Postby joshypants99 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm in the proccess of writing a Fantasy-Fiction book with a Zombie apocalypse in it, it's pretty weird.

Are you guys writin' somethin', and if so, would you like to share the basic concept of it? I am curious
Lettie wrote:A couch made of candy would result in no couch eventually.
joshypants99
zay

Location: Smithfield, SW Pennsylvania, USA, North America, Planet Earth.
Custom Title: Chief Log-a-log

Re: Writing Fantasy-Fiction.

Postby freethemanitee » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:37 pm

You're book souns neat, tell us more about it. If you don't mind.
freethemanitee
fetus

Custom Title: Baptist Refugee

Postby joshypants99 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:44 pm

It's like fantasy with the main antagonist as a Bandit leader dude who wants to take over the country place. And the main character suffers from Amnesia and can't remember a thing and stuff. I'm like on pg 60 or something in writing it so far and I'm gonna have the bandit leader guy turn his army into these zombies and stuff and try to 'infect' the country place, *Just an idea, may not actually be written*.
There are also these talking Human-Lizard type people. It's an interesting story and I hope to actually finish it within a year or two haha
joshypants99
zay

Postby freethemanitee » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Good luck. I would read it.

I've been writing a book myself for about a year now. It's called Die By The Sword. Its set in the future by about 100 years, and the planet has been heavily polluted, so the upper class has built a second layer over the earth called the Sky Deck. The Sky Deck has been is a paradise of a place that only the upper class can afford. Meanwhile those who live underneath are plagued by the pollution and over population. To combat this the Government has legalized assassinations. There is a company called the Disposable has capitalized on this by creating "vending machine assassins." Unfortunatly once the government has legalized murder the rest of the laws have fallen apart as well, this has also caused the police force to have dwindeld to almost nothing.
The main character is a detective who was laid off as a result of the nearly defunct police force. But even though he isn't on the force anymore he still has a strong sense of what he believes is justice. So he spends his time tracking down assassins and murderers, and using the Vending machine assassins to kill them. Meanwhile he learns about Love, and the value of life.
The problem is that I like the story too much to finish it.
freethemanitee
fetus

Postby joshypants99 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:18 pm

That sounds really awesome - you totally need to finish it, because I totally need to read it.
Do you think you'll have it published anywhere? Like iTunes or something?
joshypants99
zay

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:09 pm

freethemanitee wrote:Its set in the future by about 100 years, and the planet has been heavily polluted, so the upper class has built a second layer over the earth called the Sky Deck. The Sky Deck has been is a paradise of a place that only the upper class can afford. Meanwhile those who live underneath are plagued by the pollution and over population.

I read a Star Wars book like this once! It takes place on Coruscant, which is like this crazy built up planet. They don't built higher because of pollution though... they just literally run out of room, so it keeps getting higher and higher and the lower levels kind of fall to decay (penthouse is better kind of idea). From an engineering perspective I think the story is probably kind of problematic... but regardless.

I really really liked that book (I can't remember the name of it unfortunately. Probably wouldn't be THAT hard to figure out the name though if I looked into it) so your book sounds intriguing. I liked the levels of city/class system thing so much that it's sooort of incorporated into a book I'm planning on trying to write next year, but it's kind of different. I'll write about it more one day this Christmas maybe :) It's a really peaceful land with two points of gravity because the planet is inverted, and the industry takes place in the lowest levels, commercial higher, residential higher, and the highest levels are kind of recreational areas. Sky parks if you will. Then they get invaded Last Airbender southern Water kingdom style.
}elisa{
What good is just one string when you can strum the guitar?
monstersforyou wrote:Any man who loves Batman is a GOOD man.

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
hummingbird_mywill
death head

Custom Title: theoretician of a new paradigm

Postby freethemanitee » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm aware of the engineering complications, I haven't figured that one out yet. Could be easy to say "space supplies!"

Your book sounds really great too. Two points of gravity. I would be very interested to hear how that works out!
freethemanitee
fetus

Postby icantsavemyself » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:52 pm

When my friends and I were living in the same town we started writing a comic book based on a zombie apocalypse RPG we played based in out home town and we were the characters. It ended up being a mix between The Walking Dead and Shaun of The Dead. I'm hoping to start it back up again by next year, the only thing we need is an artist.
limework wrote:pokepooping defined my childhood.
icantsavemyself
death head

Custom Title: The Spear

Postby freethemanitee » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Arrrrgh! I understand the frustrations. Its so hard to find a comic book artist (and I guess we as Showbread fans know that pretty well.) I originally wrote my story as a comic book too.
freethemanitee
fetus

Postby Timloney » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:16 pm

My friend Brennan is pretty good. He's working on a comic book himself. Its sad though because hes working on it with friends...yet he does all the work. They just say "Hey I want this in the story", or "Here's an idea for a character I have, write him in". Pretty lame if you ask me. So basically hes in charge of story and artwork...
The dark side may have cookies, but we have Jesus
Timloney
zay

Custom Title: Pastor In Training

Postby icantsavemyself » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Then he gets all the credit haha. I'll have to wait until this summer to start looking for an artist.
limework wrote:pokepooping defined my childhood.
icantsavemyself
death head

Custom Title: The Spear

Postby Timloney » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:37 pm

I wouldn't necessarily call this a story yet but I'm working on something. I'm hoping it's something big. Mainly I write poetry and some short stories. My short stories are actually supposed to be novels, but I can never get the plot moving past the first couple pages. Anayway, what I'm working on now is this story about a small town Northwest United States. The story switches between two perspectives, the protagonist and the antagonist. However by the end of the book, you won't be able to tell who is who. Lets just say the two main characters are a sheriff and a "Demon"-possessed man.
The dark side may have cookies, but we have Jesus
Timloney
zay

Custom Title: Pastor In Training

Postby freethemanitee » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Does anyone on this thread think that they could gain anything from having some peer editing? Not just grammatical things either, also fleshing out ideas. Its still everyones own personal work, but it sounds like we have three pretty neat stories here. I have experience editing, and I would be glad to help.

It can be difficult to write a book when you have so many ideas floating around in your head. I find I tend to take the reader for granted and offer little to zero explanation of the world or the characters.
freethemanitee
fetus

Postby joshypants99 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:29 pm

What do you mean 'peer editing'? You mean like going through a book for grammer/spelling errors and stuff?
joshypants99
zay

Postby freethemanitee » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:11 am

Thats part of it. But a professional editor is in communication with an author about the book's content as well as its grammar. They help flesh out ideas and basically help steer the author where they (the author) wants to go. Like for me, when someone edited one of my stories they saw that I didn't do a good enough job explaining some characters motiviation.
I wasn't originally explaining it well because in my head I already know the characters motivations, as well as what is going to happen next. A good editor helps the author in guiding the reader, without compromising what the author is trying to do.
freethemanitee
fetus

Postby joshypants99 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Hmmm. Sounds pretty interesting! Is this your main Job or do you do it on the side?
joshypants99
zay

Postby GriffonTheCat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:00 pm

I was writing a book a couple years ago but i kind of lost the time for it. But for awhile i've been getting into film making and i may re-write it and turn it into a youtube movie over the summer.
GriffonTheCat
fetus

Custom Title: Cabin boy

Postby joshypants99 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm about 85 pages through my Medieval Zombie Apocalypse book. You guys should all read it when it's done.
joshypants99
zay

Postby R-Raw » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:41 pm

I've been working on this really bizarre story about a homeless cowboy with his schoolboy sidekick defending a jewish town from Nazis. I know...it's weird. But I'm really excited about it. I took some influence from movies like A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. I love the western genre, and the image of a cowboy figure facing oncoming nazi soldiers just made me think it so weird it might work. we'll see. I'm still not done with the first draft.
R-Raw
zay

Postby joshypants99 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:52 pm

R-Raw wrote:I've been working on this really bizarre story about a homeless cowboy with his schoolboy sidekick defending a jewish town from Nazis. I know...it's weird. But I'm really excited about it. I took some influence from movies like A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. I love the western genre, and the image of a cowboy figure facing oncoming nazi soldiers just made me think it so weird it might work. we'll see. I'm still not done with the first draft.

That looks promising, and you should definitely finish. When you write, do you have the main plot already figured out, or do you just wing it? I do a little bit of both myself, but I find it interesting how other writers, much like myself, write their literature.

Oh, and here's a li'l :triforce: just for someone.
joshypants99
zay

Next

Return to print.