Favorite assigned book you read in middle or high school?

Books, literature, and comics.

Re: Favorite assigned book you read in middle or high school

Postby heavymetal_dante » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:19 pm

DanJoshMass wrote:
Noj Strebor wrote:
DanJoshMass wrote:
Noj Strebor wrote:PS: Catcher in the Rye, was the most overrated/disappointing assigned books that I read.

Haters gonna hate. I loved that one. That one is my second favorite to 1984 for sure.

What was so great about it? Holden Caulfield is an angsty little fusty walrus.

Yes. Yes he is.

Holden wasn't supposed to be a likable character.
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain

Custom Title: I'll kill yer dog

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:40 am

Really? I liked him. Quite a bit. But then, I'm really embarrassed to say that I didn't finish the book.
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Custom Title: Pseudo-artsy

Postby Nehemiah » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:09 am

You know, that I recall... we read 'The Death of a Salesman' by Arthur Miller back in highschool. It was pretty good for a play/tragedy about a salesman dying.
Nehemiah
fetus

Custom Title: Generic Wizard

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:41 pm

DanJoshMass wrote:
Noj Strebor wrote:
DanJoshMass wrote:
Noj Strebor wrote:PS: Catcher in the Rye, was the most overrated/disappointing assigned books that I read.

Haters gonna hate. I loved that one. That one is my second favorite to 1984 for sure.

What was so great about it? Holden Caulfield is an angsty little fusty walrus.

Yes. Yes he is.

Ok, even just reading this reference brings back the memory of reading it. I literally lol'd the WHOLE WAY THROUGH the book. I was driving up north with my sister and just like, giggling away and chuckling really obnoxiously completely unintentionally. I just couldn't hold it in. The FUNNIEST book I have ever read in my entire life.
Also I made her even more annoyed because I was like "I want to read that book" and she's like "it's the most annoying book EVER. You'll hate it" and she thought I was laughing on purpose to make a point. No, it's just that hilarious to me. Like everything is just SO FUNNY. I wasn't actually assigned it though.

More on topic. I read a Wrinkle in Time in Grade 4 and was like "oh that was pretty cool". I read it in Grade 10 and was like :shock: :o :geek: "this is the greatest book ever" and it has continued to be my #2 since then.

Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was a love-hate relationship. I also had an issue with disliking books when they were assigned, not because they were assigned, but because of the analyzing them to find pre-chosen themes. I LOVE analyzing things in general... like, it's my most dominate personality characteristic. However, I have to be able to come to my own conclusions, not someone else's.
So it took me a while to venture back into Narnia, but I have read the whole series 9 times now, and will read them for the 10th this year :3

Lord of the Flies was both gruesome and fascinating. Lots of good dialogue came from it. I wouldn't want to read it solo, so I'm glad we read it in school.

Wuthering Heights made me so angry I called up multiple friends/family members so I could yell about how angry I was at the characters, and when they had enough I'd call someone else. I'm not even an outwardly emotional person. Next to the Kite Runner (sadness) and my favourite books the Circle series (sadness, and joy), that book got me more emotional (ANGER) than any other book I've ever read.

Hamlet is up there too for frustration and Horatio is the only redeeming quality of that tale.

Oh! The Chrysalids was super weird and I really liked it up until the end. I found the ending very "wut" but otherwise a good story. Well... the ending also provides good discussion though... so I don't know.

I intend on presently reading a lot of the books mentioned here. Fahrenheit 451, 1984 (this summer), Picture of Dorian Grey, and the Count of Monte Cristo.
I love this thread!
}elisa{
What good is just one string when you can strum the guitar?
monstersforyou wrote:Any man who loves Batman is a GOOD man.

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
hummingbird_mywill
death head

Custom Title: theoretician of a new paradigm

Previous

Return to print.