The Harry Potter Thread

Books, literature, and comics.

Re: The Harry Potter Thread

Postby HunterBrown » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Sara wrote:
phyro_gp wrote:
rawADAMkills wrote:(except in book 5...good grief)

Please explain what you mean.. I'm serious, I'd like to hear what you mean by this. Sounds interesting..

Harry Potter is a little turd throughout the entire series but he is turdiest in book 5. Most people look past his being a crap bag for reasons mentioned above but, in book 5 it is undeniable that he is lame and angsty.

I can actually agree with this.
I didn't like his attitude in the fifth book. But I think it was just because he was a teenager.
Ah, young love.
owl wrote:but i am going to the doctor so he can butts them

HunterBrown
death head

Custom Title: The Wannabe Ladykiller

Postby rawrockforever » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:14 am

I'm rereading the books now. I forgot how good prisoner of azkaban was.... definitely one of my favorites. So much that makes you think about trust, forgiveness, betrayal, all those good Christian themes.
rawrockforever
fetus

Postby Noj Strebor » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Although the Harry Potter series is one of my all time favorites, I can't help but feel that the series peaked with book one. Whether you want to call it the "Philosophers Stone" or the "Sorcerers Stone". It is just a dang fine book.

“There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.”
Never praise mediocrity.
Noj Strebor
fetus

Custom Title: Professional Misanthrope

Postby hummingbird_mywill » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:15 pm

rawADAMkills wrote:
Sara wrote:Harry Potter series is one of my favorite book series ever. Harry Potter is one of my least favorite characters ever. That kid is a jerk. We get it, your parents are dead. Neville's parents are looney toons and he is the nicest boy in the wizarding world. Suck it up, potter.

...it's not like he can grow his parents back. Plus he was thrust into a new world where he's famous. That sucks. If he KNEW the world like Neville did, maybe the fame-anxiety wouldn't be such a big deal and he could start recovering from the death of his parents.

I love Harry (except in book 5...good grief), and every character. Snape is my favorite though. Then Voldy and Dumbles.

YES, exactly.

Yes. YES. No, and yes.

I would also like to mention that it's not not made clear if Neville's closest friends know about his parents' identity, but we DO know that MOST kids don't know how his parents became ill (book 4, "I'm not sure if I'm ready for them to know about my parents yet" when he's with Harry in the room of requirement for Dumbledore's Army meeting). Everyone knows about what happened to Harry, so it's not only the fame-anxiety he has to navigate, but he also has to deal with the fact that the whole wizarding world is privy to the most horrifying and intimate moments of his life, far before he is. That would be so difficult to deal with. Also he was lied to for his whole life. Like, good grief.

He had A LOT to deal with, and did smashingly well in my opinion for all his issues PLUS teen angst! J. K. said that she recreated Harry to be both believeable, but also (not a direct quote, but something along the lines of) "the perfect boy she would want her daughter to date". That was in an interview where she talked about how completely appalled she was when she found out how many girls professed to love Draco Malfoy rather than Harry or one of the other good characters.

On that note, I would totally marry Snape if there wasn't a creepy age difference :\

Wait. He's also fictional... MINOR DETAIL. :P
}elisa{
What good is just one string when you can strum the guitar?
monstersforyou wrote:Any man who loves Batman is a GOOD man.

vertebrae wrote:I really have no plans to record anything in particular other than me and friends and our kitty displaying strange antics.
hummingbird_mywill
death head

Custom Title: theoretician of a new paradigm

Postby icantsavemyself » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Sara wrote:
phyro_gp wrote:
rawADAMkills wrote:(except in book 5...good grief)

Please explain what you mean.. I'm serious, I'd like to hear what you mean by this. Sounds interesting..

Harry Potter is a little turd throughout the entire series but he is turdiest in book 5. Most people look past his being a crap bag for reasons mentioned above but, in book 5 it is undeniable that he is lame and angsty.

The only way I could get through book more than once was to remind myself that Harry was being possessed by Voldemort...and hormones. He was such a freaking turd burglar.
limework wrote:pokepooping defined my childhood.
icantsavemyself
death head

Custom Title: The Spear

Postby Sara » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:25 pm

icantsavemyself wrote:He was such a freaking turd burglar.

This makes you my favorite. Best description.
Sara
death head

Custom Title: Winchestertonfieldsville

Postby icantsavemyself » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:42 pm

I try.
limework wrote:pokepooping defined my childhood.
icantsavemyself
death head

Custom Title: The Spear

Previous

Return to print.