Quotes

Books, literature, and comics.

Quotes

Postby ThePageStaysBlank » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:54 am

A friend of mine is doing a project with some quotes. I love reading quotes. Lately I've been really connected this one from Sylvia Plath.

"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited." – Sylvia Plath

What quotes do you love?
Josh_Dead wrote:This forum is like a used junkpiece from Goodwill. As-is, no refunds.
ThePageStaysBlank
admin

Custom Title: Pseudo-artsy

Re: Quotes

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:03 pm

I like that quote.

"Well, listen, everything's weird - you tell me something that's not weird."
and
"I'm not a musician. I'm a trapeze artist."
~Bob Dylan

"Tradition and heritage are dead peoples' baggage. Quit carrying them around."
~Doug Stanhope
I woke this morning with expectations of gaining nothing:
I've learned to trust my instincts.

The problem with these people is
They understand the obvious
They understand their vices not their faults
Ben
bread head

Custom Title: America's Hair Dad

Postby Jutharius Roquen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:05 pm

"Our worst days are never so bad that we are beyond the reach of God's grace and our best days are never so good that we are beyond the need of God's grace."
- Jerry Bridges
"Our birth is nothing but our death begun. " - Edward Young
Jutharius Roquen
zay

Custom Title: I am the Banana King...

Postby heavymetal_dante » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:24 pm

A few quotes from Sandman.

"Reason. It is no more reliable a tool than instinct, myth, or dream. But it has the potential to be far more dangerous..."

"People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes.

and the best

"Have you ever been in love? Horrible, isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses. You build up this whole armor, for years, so nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life. You give them a piece of you. They don't ask for it. They do something dumb one day like kiss you, or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so a simple phrase like 'Maybe we should just be friends' or 'How very perceptive' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a body-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. Nothing should be able to do that. Especially not love. I hate love."
heavymetal_dante
Bieber Captain

Custom Title: I'll kill yer dog

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:30 pm

I partially disagree with the first, but I really like the other two.

"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life."
~Homer Simpson

Ben
bread head

Postby Jutharius Roquen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Ben wrote:"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life."
~Homer Simpson

YES!! :mrgreen:

“Messin' with me's like wearin' cheese underwear down rat alley.” -Ollie Chandler
(a character from a book called "Deception" by Randy Alcorn)
Jutharius Roquen
zay

Postby hannahsayshello » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:47 pm

forewarning: i'm going to post a lot.

"Things don’t always turn out well. Sometimes they don’t turn out at all. Sometimes everything falls apart and we wonder if there’s any point to any of it. We’re tempted to shut ourselves off, fortify the walls around our hearts, and forge ahead, promising ourselves that we will never open ourselves up like that again. But I have to believe that we can recover from anything. I have to believe that God can put anything—anyone—back together. I have to believe that the God Jesus invites us to trust is as good as he says he is." - Rob Bell

"I had a conversation about [modern top 40 music] with a friend the other day, and her response was 'people like candy.' I thought that was kind of insightful. I like music that I consider to be more like a fine wine. Music that has subtlety and depth, layers of meaning and complexity… Pop music is kind of like candy. It’s easy to understand. It’s got a quick, strong flavor. One flavor. It’s easy. It taps into base animal instincts and emotions. It doesn’t take any work.
But it rots your teeth.
Listen, I like candy. And I actually do enjoy shaking my own larger than average booty to Taio Cruz sing about “Dynomite.” It’s fun. But there’s something sad about a culture that consumes so much candy. After awhile, we get fat and lazy and toothless." — Michael Gungor

"The one thing all famous authors, world class athletes, business tycoons, singers, actors, and celebrated achievers in any field have in common is that they all began their journeys when they were none of these things. Yet still, they began their journeys." - Mike Dooley

“if you can’t do great things, mother teresa used to say, do little things with great love. if you can’t do them with great love, do them with a little love. if you can’t do them with a little love, do them anyway. love grows when people serve.” — john ortberg

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside of us, and sometimes, they win." - Stephen King

"Money? what’s money? success is when a man wakes up, does what he wants, and goes to bed." - Bob Dylan

"I don’t deserve it, but grace is attached to my shadow. It follows me wherever I go reminding me that I’m loved when I don’t love myself. It corrects me when I’m out of line yet then pulls me in to give me a loving embrace. It’s sometimes hard for me to understand because it’s so unlike me." — Bryce Avary

"Do what you love and my vocabulary is poor the rest." - Little Miss Sunshine

"Gandhi said that whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it’s very important that you do it. I tend to agree with the first part. Michael, you know what I’m starring at. By 22, Gandhi had three kids, Mozart 30 symphonies, and Buddy Holly was dead. You once told me our fingerprints don’t fade from the lives that we touch. Is that true for everybody? Or it was just poetic nonsense?

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it’s very important that you do it - because nobody else will. Like when someone comes into your life and half of you says: 'You’re nowhere near ready'. And the other half says: 'Make her yours forever'. Michael, Caroline asked me what would I say if I knew you could hear me. I said: 'I do know. I love you. God, I miss you, and I forgive you.'" — Remember Me
hey, beauty supreme
yeah, you were right about me
but can i get myself out from underneath this guilt that will crush me?
in the quiet, i saw our sad messiah.
He was bored and tired of my laments
said "I died for you one time, but never again"
hannahsayshello
death head

Custom Title: grey sky eyes

Postby Corvid Canine » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:05 pm

"It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile; be yourself, no matter what they say."

"Don't judge me, you could be me in another life, in another set of circumstances."

"Devil to pay on judgment day. Would Jesus strike me down if I should pray? This cowboy song is all I know to bring me back into Your arms."

"Love is annihilation."

"Blessed are the poor, for they shall inherit the earth. Better to be poor than be a fat man in the eye of a needle. As these words were spoken I swear, I hear my old man laughing, 'What good is a used up world and how could it be worth having?'"

-Gordon Sumner a.k.a. Sting.
I get up in the morning, divide by zero, howl at the moon and eat a bowl of surreal.

(insert blastbeat)
Corvid Canine
death head

Custom Title: The Forum Monster

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 pm

hannahsayshello wrote:"I had a conversation about [modern top 40 music] with a friend the other day, and her response was 'people like candy.' I thought that was kind of insightful. I like music that I consider to be more like a fine wine. Music that has subtlety and depth, layers of meaning and complexity… Pop music is kind of like candy. It’s easy to understand. It’s got a quick, strong flavor. One flavor. It’s easy. It taps into base animal instincts and emotions. It doesn’t take any work.
But it rots your teeth.
Listen, I like candy. And I actually do enjoy shaking my own larger than average booty to Taio Cruz sing about “Dynomite.” It’s fun. But there’s something sad about a culture that consumes so much candy. After awhile, we get fat and lazy and toothless." — Michael Gungor

"Money? what’s money? success is when a man wakes up, does what he wants, and goes to bed." - Bob Dylan

I agree with the first, even if I think it's a little bit too harsh on pop music. And that's another great Dylan quote. He has way too many good quotes. I've got a book of Dylan interviews, and I probably have to stop at least once per interview and marvel at the mind-twisting brilliance of something he says.

Ben
bread head

Postby passionate_nihilist » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:20 pm

"if sin tzu was alive today he would have written final fantasy tatics"
HailImage Gay Image Satan
passionate_nihilist
death head

Custom Title: 16yrold tryin2make the most oflife

Postby BrumtheLion » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:36 am

"uuuuughfhjkfsd"

-Hellen Keller
BrumtheLion
zay

Custom Title: airbear

Postby Bethanie » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:40 am

I lost.
Bethanie
bread head

Postby limework » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:58 am

totally using that dylan quote as my fb status
I'm a dude, she's a dude.
limework
noob

Custom Title: Guest

...word...

Postby Lucious W Fox » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:01 pm

"Like paths and alleys overgrown with hardy, rank-growing weeds, the words we use are overgrown with our individual, private, provincial associations, which tend to choke the meaning."
-Stefan Themerson
Lucas W. Cox
Lucious W Fox
fetus

Re: ...word...

Postby passionate_nihilist » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:03 pm

"random cryptic jibber jabber to repost on facebook" -Stefan Themerson
passionate_nihilist
death head

Postby Lucious W Fox » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:13 pm

passionate_nihilist wrote:"random cryptic jibber jabber to repost on facebook" -Stefan Themerson

there is no more allegorical "random cryptic jibber jabber" in the quote by Stefan Themerson then there is in a showbread song
Lucas W. Cox
Lucious W Fox
fetus

Postby Jutharius Roquen » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:33 pm

"The waking world is judged more real because it can thus contain the dreaming world: the dreaming world is judged less real because it cannot contain the waking one. For the same reason I am certain that in passing from the scientific point of view to the theological, I have passed from dream to waking. Christian theology can fit in science, art, morality, and the sub-Christian religions. The scientific point of view cannot fit in any of these things, not even science itself. I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen not only because I see it but because by it I see everything else. — C. S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry?
Jutharius Roquen
zay

Postby passionate_nihilist » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:38 pm

Lucious W Fox wrote:
passionate_nihilist wrote:"random cryptic jibber jabber to repost on facebook" -Stefan Themerson

there is no more allegorical "random cryptic jibber jabber" in the quote by Stefan Themerson then there is in a showbread song

hi i am head mod of this website you just earned your first official warning (feel free to quote me on that)
passionate_nihilist
death head

Postby JWat » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:48 pm

don't let the glasses fool you, he's really just a outrageously malicious
JWat
admin

Custom Title: international businessman

Postby passionate_nihilist » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 pm

Hey Kids: If you can't do the puzzle on the back of the cereal box without looking at the answers printed on the inside yr seaking retarded
passionate_nihilist
death head

Next

Return to print.