Official Cancer Thread

All your thoughts about all records from early days to future releases.

Re: Official Cancer Thread

Postby eddya333 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:51 pm

I haven't seen the movie but I own the album and absolutely love it. The album seems pretty cohesive to me, though. Lyrically and and with all of the little audio clips. I am not sure if Cancer made as much sense to me as a concept album the first listen. It made sense but a lot of the tracks could be stand alone tracks if you ask me.

freethemanitee wrote:Well Planet Cancer is earth. (Nice try Josh!) The entire world is overrun with principalities. SO the thing about this story is that all they have to do is show components. I think the Cd, the ep, the movie, the journal, and any forthcoming Cancer universe media shed light on its world for us to draw our own conclusions. Its supposed to cause us to look at our world. We as the Raw Rock Militia are those punks who spray painted over the Prinicpality painting. Because Cancer really isn't a story about Protozoa at all. Showbread has been this way since the beggining. It was never about Showbread either. Its about God, its about us, and its about becoming the resistance. Cancer, and to a lesser extent the INLAAIAOP video are about causing us to think as a opposed to telling any sort of story.

Funny you say stoned (although I get that you are joking) I love when folks use creativity as an excuse for drugs. Showbread doesn't use drugs. Yet they are Showbread. They have ruined my life. Has a band ever been more self aware?

I think I might be comparing it with A/N by default and that would totally be my bad. But there wasn't anything obscure about A/N. You got the story. The hidden messages were little bonus things but not necessary to understand what was going on. With Cancer, though, like you said, we have to draw on a lot of our own conclusions. I'm not sure where the writer of the cancer wiki got so much dang information if it has to be drawn ourselves.

Also, it may just be me, but I don't think it's actually called Planet Cancer. I think it's earth and America. I mean, they say "God Bless America" in the opening track. I think Planet Cancer is just a nick name given to earth in that certain universe seeing as it is run by the Principalities. We all know Cancer is derogatory so I don't think they would name earth after it.
eddya333
zay

Custom Title: Señor Salsa

Postby freethemanitee » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:04 pm

See I guess I always just assumed that it was Planet Cancer for a few reasons. "The world is sick but it won't die from it." It just helps me establish all of this as Sci-fi. Which it kind of isn't always. I think that there is a very real possibility that someone from Showbread updates the Wiki. How else would they get the Patient 3 ep cover?

I do think that it is fair to point at A/N to show the band in full story telling mode. But it has been said many times that the only thing that causes the band to shut up and act serious is their faith, and those albums were more or less Showbreads version of a tract. Cancer being a totally different beast, and Josh says that this album will raise more questions than it answers, probably has a double meaning. It all makes sense in a Showbread is super messed up kind of way.
freethemanitee
fetus

Custom Title: Baptist Refugee

Postby eddya333 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Yeah, I get what you mean but I still don't think It's actually called Planet Cancer. I think that would be the equivalent, or close to, calling Africa "Planet Ni****" or the US "Planet Cra****." I know it's a very imperfect comparison for several reasons, but since cancer is the derogatory word for the people in power, or the majority, I think that's what Kimo meant when he wrote or thought (or whoever wrote or thought this, seeing as they were being sent to prison around this time according to the wiki) Escape from Planet Cancer.

I'm sure the band has to be involved in the Wiki somehow! I just feel that there has to be more evidence with what they release to back what the Wiki says. At least that! Haha It all makes sense in a Showbread is super messed up kind of way. So true.

Final thought: Has anyone read the books in the suggested reading for the pamphlet? Would those just back the theology of Cancer or does anyone think they could share more insight into the world?
eddya333
zay

Postby llamaiguana » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:40 pm

The only two I've read on that book list are Myth of a Christian Nation and God of the Possible. It doesn't really help me very much with the story specifically, but I'd still suggest reading it as it gives a better idea of the bigger subjects. There was a sermon from Solid Rock recently that had a lot to do with God of the Possible (lots of talk of principalities), which was really good that you might want to listen to. The sermon was God Has A Name part 2.

Also, saw this.

http://vine.co/v/bnzI629AepB
llamaiguana
zay

Postby clayton » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:35 pm

That video can't be played on my android mobile device. What is it.
clayton
death head

Postby joshypants99 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:58 pm

I hope the movie is just 1000 of those vine thingies, all put together in some way. But whatever.
Lettie wrote:A couch made of candy would result in no couch eventually.
joshypants99
zay

Location: Smithfield, SW Pennsylvania, USA, North America, Planet Earth.
Custom Title: Chief Log-a-log

Postby Dicker Zanti » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:18 pm

eddya333 wrote:By now I'm sure most of you have seen the teaser trailer for the "Cancer" movie. Obviously it's short and only raises more questions, but that is Showbread; short and raise questions. BUT, something caught my attention: the vocalization at the end. Does anyone recognize that from a song or is this material we haven't heard yet? And if it's material we haven't heard, can this be from the "Patient 3" EP?

boom.
josh_dies wrote:
clayton wrote:is patrick lead vocalist now?

nope

but he does have a microphone.
Dicker Zanti
zay

Custom Title: not band member

Postby Thoagland » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Dicker Zanti wrote:
eddya333 wrote:By now I'm sure most of you have seen the teaser trailer for the "Cancer" movie. Obviously it's short and only raises more questions, but that is Showbread; short and raise questions. BUT, something caught my attention: the vocalization at the end. Does anyone recognize that from a song or is this material we haven't heard yet? And if it's material we haven't heard, can this be from the "Patient 3" EP?

boom.

You really enjoy being a party-pooper don't you?
Maimsmithing pays well.
Thoagland
bread head

Custom Title: Band Memorabilia

Postby joshypants99 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:37 pm

So what is Patient 3 EP? I heard it's something new from Showbread, but does anyone have a link to any info about it, if any?
Lettie wrote:A couch made of candy would result in no couch eventually.
joshypants99
zay

Location: Smithfield, SW Pennsylvania, USA, North America, Planet Earth.
Custom Title: Chief Log-a-log

Postby eddya333 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 pm

http://showbreadcancer.wikia.com/wiki/Patient_3

This is all we have on it so far... that and wild dreams and speculations.
eddya333
zay

Postby Dicker Zanti » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:04 am

Thoagland wrote:
You really enjoy being a party-pooper don't you?

yep.
josh_dies wrote:
clayton wrote:is patrick lead vocalist now?

nope

but he does have a microphone.
Dicker Zanti
zay

Custom Title: not band member

Postby Izzyman » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:14 am

Man, I've missed a ton lately! I'm loving all this new info though. I want the Cancer film soooo badddd!
:raw: "Art is not the world. Art is in our hearts." :raw:
Izzyman
death head

Custom Title: Self proclaimed artist

Postby llamaiguana » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Has anyone thought about the amount of screaming on the album? Since screaming is usually something people complain about there being too much/not enough of, I started to think of the album this way. The first two tracks, from the order in the PDF, have the most screaming and are more informative in content ("Institution of principalities") it seems to me. The next two are mixed with sung vocals and screams. Once the band "makes it" in the story, there are only very small parts of songs with screaming vocals. Then, when the band revolts with Escape from Planet Cancer, screaming again. The last two songs have very minimal (maybe one word I think) of screaming. I like to imagine that Protozoa was trying to be more main stream as screaming was seen as subversive to the principality culture or something. Completely unrelated and almost definitely coincidental, but maybe a funny little imaginary sub plot.
llamaiguana
zay

Postby eddya333 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Any body catch that screenshot/ update? I darn near pooped myself. Looks a lot bigger than I imagined it. also, it looks fantastic. No doubt the wait will be worth it.
eddya333
zay

Postby llamaiguana » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:08 am

Man, I saw that. These guys put in so much work into these things, it's really mind boggling. That picture looks great.
llamaiguana
zay

Postby eddya333 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:38 pm

So, I was listening to Cancer and Sex With Strangers came on and I realized I don't quite get how it really fits with the concept lyrically. I mean, I can see it in the first verse with the spaceships and all that jazz but what do Calvinism and the Principalities have in common? Aren't the Principalities just the governing party?
eddya333
zay

Postby clayton » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:22 pm

In the cancer diary, it shows them responsible for war in stuff, so id say that the principalities are responsible for tragidies that are seen as predestined by god.
clayton
death head

Postby eddya333 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:39 am

Oh, that's a very good interpretation! I'll take it!
eddya333
zay

Postby Eaglebauer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm starting to wonder if they should of held off on releasing the album until the movie was done. While I'm sure it will still be awesome, don't you think the impact of the overall album/movie is lessened because the album was released such a long time ago? Just a thought.
Eaglebauer
zay

Postby freethemanitee » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:23 pm

Yeah, maybe. Or if they had just released it with less time between. It will probably be about a year between releases. I'm really excited still, but not as much as I was the first time I saw the album cover.
freethemanitee
fetus

Custom Title: Baptist Refugee

PreviousNext

Return to raw rock records.